Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on eliminating the stench of tripe from my hands?! Holy cow! That is one item I'll be preparing with gloves from now on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've never touched tripe, but when I've worked with other stinky foods (for me, not the dog) I've used fresh lemon. I'll cut a lemon in half and squeeze some juice on my hands and rub it together, then rub the lemon on my hands and fingertips, rinse, then do it over. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Alright, how come your touching it. Did you get some whole? or are you feeding it from the ground roll it comes in? I feed the roll from greentripe and never have had to touch it before, I just snipe off the end with scissors and squeeze out how much for each dog into their bowls and throw the plastic wrap away. Its does stink like crap:eek:, but boy the dogs love it!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL I bought two big bags of the stuff tonight. Each piece of tripe was big, folded in half and stacked on top of the next. A frozen solid layered tripecicle. I semi-thawed and separated the pieces so I could re-package and freeze them in smaller portions. It smells like rotting garbage, spicy mustard and elephant dung tossed together on a hot summer day, so I'm certain the dogs will go berserk for it. Where's the puking smiley when you need it?

I will absolutely try the lemon trick! I've tried vinegar to no avail, so hopefully lemon works for stinky tripe! Eesh...and I thought pork liver was bad!

·
Banned
547 Posts
Gross, I hate handling tripe. I dont gag very often and not very many things make me gag or want to barf..but tripe takes it away for the very small percentage of things that do. Yuck...I buy the canned tripe..and I have to do it outside.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Your dogs will LOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I must be weird. Sure, it isn't the most pleasant smell in the world, but I think it smells like a cattle farm. Which takes me back to fond childhood memories on my aunt's farm, so in a way I like the smell.

Okay, I really am weird.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bumblegoat, I must agree with you on that. You are officially a weirdo :tongue:

Whiteleo, off topic but are those BULL TERRIERS in your avatar?!? I loooove them. Someday I will be lucky enough to share my home with a BT! <3

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If the lemon doesn't work, try rubbing your hands with something stainless steel. That always works for garlic for some reason. I just "massage" my sink after chopping garlic, and it seems to do the trick. LOL!

And next time, wear gloves, for crying out loud! :biggrin:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was just going to suggest gloves, but looks like it's been covered! I wear gloves for cutting most things. I don't like touching meat, when I chop jalapenos I always manage to get oil stuck under my fingernails which inevitably gets in my eyes at some point, and there are a few others things I've just found are easier to avoid than get on my hands. My ex used to make fun of my gloves all the time :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Bumblegoat, I must agree with you on that. You are officially a weirdo :tongue:

Whiteleo, off topic but are those BULL TERRIERS in your avatar?!? I loooove them. Someday I will be lucky enough to share my home with a BT! <3
Yes, I have three Bull Terriers! also known as the clowns of the dog world!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, I will surely don the gloves next time!

Whiteleo, that is awesome! Do you have threads with pictures and/or stories of your dogs? What are their names? I love them already!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts