Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so as many of you know I bought a 50lb box of whole tilapia for 40 bucks. This made me happy. :biggrin:

NOW I tried to feed Brady this fresh, local bargain and he's anything but thrilled about it. This makes me sad. :frown:

When I first offered it to him I just threw it on the ground and let him check it out. He walked up, sniffed it, licked it, and then just walked away. I picked it up after about 10 minutes and he went hungry. Later that night I tried the same hoping that he would be hungry enough to eat it. Alas he was not...same reaction again. So I tried cooking it a little bit to see if that would interest him at all. He tried it this time, but really only nibbled on it and wouldn't touch the bones. He barely ate any at all.

Any suggestions on how to get him to eat it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't tried whole fish yet, will soon thought, but....

I did try and feed leftover trout fillets I had in the freezer. Bailey just chewed them up and spit them out. So I put them away. Next day I put the trout in her bowl with canned sardines and liver and she had no idea. I just masked the problem, but that's one thing I did to get her to eat it.

Maybe cut the fish up a little and mix it with liver or something else?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You could try offering the fish and nothing but for a few days to see if he will change his mind about it. Two of our four dogs don't like fish and we tried feeding fish to them for five days straight and they stuck through it without ever eating it. We gave up, they just don't get the fresh tilapia and get canned fish instead. Some dogs just won't eat fresh fish, and the good thing is that you could resell that case if he doesn't ever take to it.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yeah, fish is a fishy one!:biggrin: My dogs won't touch it, I tried cutting it up, just cutting off the fins, slicing open the gut, everything you can think of.

They only want canned fish period, no ifs ands or butts.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would also recommend cutting it up at first. Chop it up and let him see the insides too so he knows there is meat in that scaly mess :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't tried whole fish yet, will soon thought, but....

I did try and feed leftover trout fillets I had in the freezer. Bailey just chewed them up and spit them out. So I put them away. Next day I put the trout in her bowl with canned sardines and liver and she had no idea. I just masked the problem, but that's one thing I did to get her to eat it.

Maybe cut the fish up a little and mix it with liver or something else?
That is a good idea...I might end up trying that if he doesn't take to it. It's just so time consuming...cutting up fish and all their scaly goodness. :frown:

You could try offering the fish and nothing but for a few days to see if he will change his mind about it. Two of our four dogs don't like fish and we tried feeding fish to them for five days straight and they stuck through it without ever eating it. We gave up, they just don't get the fresh tilapia and get canned fish instead. Some dogs just won't eat fresh fish, and the good thing is that you could resell that case if he doesn't ever take to it.
I have a feeling that I'll have to try this as well. Unfortunately my pooch is also one that pukes if there's nothing on his tummy. I'm trying to break him of eating on a schedule but it's definitely not easy. He threw up twice yesterday because of refusing to eat the fish. :frown:

Have you tried cutting each fish into 4 or 5 chunks?
I would also recommend cutting it up at first. Chop it up and let him see the insides too so he knows there is meat in that scaly mess :)
I didn't cut it into chunks but he didn't get a whole, uncut fish either. The fish came gutted and from there I cut them into serving sizes, more or less. He had access to the meat but had no interest in it. Only when it was cooked a little did he eat it. That probably explains why the dogs that won't eat raw will eat canned. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha...it's not so much the pukes that I mind, it's the cleaning of the pukes that I'd rather avoid. :tongue:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I had to seriously mutilate fish beyond the point of recognition at first. I tore the darn things to bits, much like you find in canned fish (which he ate, no problem) and eventually just tore it apart less and less until it was just cut into chunks, then cut into sections, then cut in half, then slit down the belly, then whole.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to seriously mutilate fish beyond the point of recognition at first. I tore the darn things to bits, much like you find in canned fish (which he ate, no problem) and eventually just tore it apart less and less until it was just cut into chunks, then cut into sections, then cut in half, then slit down the belly, then whole.
He seems to have zero interest in any part of the fish. Today I tried offering him the chunk of fish untouched (again), and he turned his nose up at it (again). :mad: So I tried rinsing it off since every time he licked it he would get a few scales in his mouth. Offered it (again)...no dice. Then I cut off a little piece of just the meat, and he still didn't want it. :frown:

I really have a feeling that this isn't going to work out. I'll probably end up posting it for sale on Craigslist.

Anyone want to buy some partially used tilapia??? On sale for cheap!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would be confident to say that if he show 0% interest in the tilapia that he probably wont ever be interested in it. That is how its always been with our two girls who wont touch it and a few other dogs that I know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts