Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When feeding rabbit, what would be the reason to give the dog a whole rabbit, fur on, ears on and tail..

would that also hold true for birds, like quail or pheasant?

·
Registered
219 Posts
It would just be a more natural form to feed. It would take more time for your dog to eat (more mental stimulation). They would end up ingesting a little fur or feather.

The only negatives are the mess factor and extra time if you are in a hurry.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
When feeding rabbit, what would be the reason to give the dog a whole rabbit, fur on, ears on and tail..

would that also hold true for birds, like quail or pheasant?
Fur on would be more natural plus it acts as fiber in your dog's diet. I know people who feed birds including chicken and turkey with feathers still attached. I don't know that either makes a real big difference.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The only time I would remove hair/feathers is if the animal had been killed on a road and the possibility of oil/contaminants being trapped in the fur/feathers or some other type of similar situation.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i asked because i have the choice when i'm buying rabbits...to leave the fur on or off....

so, thanks....:)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If you are buying them definitely leave the fur on. But I would imagine that your dogs might not like it or know what to do with it. You might have to cut the skin off and gradually leave more and more on until they get used to it.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are buying them definitely leave the fur on. But I would imagine that your dogs might not like it or know what to do with it. You might have to cut the skin off and gradually leave more and more on until they get used to it.
i think i would buy one, just to see what they would do with it....but i would also buy rabbit parts or whole rabbits skinned....and, like you said, build up....we have a bulk rabbit person, so we'll see when it comes up next..

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts