Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my local pet food store recently. Mgr is back in the Natura area shelves and I strike up a conversation with her(acting like I barely know much about EVO)..."So, what do you think about this EVO food, I hear its pretty good."

MGR: Do you have "working Dogs."

Me: As in like a Sheep farm...as in herding dogs?

MGR: Yeah, anything like that, hunting Dogs also.

Me: Well, I try to get them exercise every day but I wouldn't call them "working Dogs"

MGR: You DON'T want this food, it is only for super high activity Dogs that burn tons of calories every day.

Me: Well, wouldn't I just adjust their portions down to match their activity level so they don't put extra weight on? I do understand that EVO is a rich, high calorie food but there's more to it than that...its more of a belief that Dogs do better on grain free/high protein foods.

MGR: NO, you really don't want this food.

I just smiled and walked out of the store with 2 bags of EVO.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Haha wow I'm sure Natura would love to know how good of a salesman this guy is!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Was at my local pet food store recently. Mgr is back in the Natura area shelves and I strike up a conversation with her(acting like I barely know much about EVO)..."So, what do you think about this EVO food, I hear its pretty good."

MGR: Do you have "working Dogs."

Me: As in like a Sheep farm...as in herding dogs?

MGR: Yeah, anything like that, hunting Dogs also.

Me: Well, I try to get them exercise every day but I wouldn't call them "working Dogs"

MGR: You DON'T want this food, it is only for super high activity Dogs that burn tons of calories every day.

Me: Well, wouldn't I just adjust their portions down to match their activity level so they don't put extra weight on? I do understand that EVO is a rich, high calorie food but there's more to it than that...its more of a belief that Dogs do better on grain free/high protein foods.

MGR: NO, you really don't want this food.

I just smiled and walked out of the store with 2 bags of EVO.
:biggrin: You did the right thing. Which EVO are you using? Zio's on the Turkey/chicken Large Bites.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ran,

In fairness, she didn't try to steer me from Natura. She just tried to get me out of EVO.

Based on my research, EVO is as ideal for a relatively sedentary Dog as it is for a 16 hour/day hunting Dog. You simply adjust portion size to match activity levels. Of course you need less of EVO as most other foods...its higher in calories.

Reactions: 1605

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sub, Turkey Chicken also. Its a bit cheaper for that formula and my guys all like it...works well.

Actually, I got lucky...EVO had a Turkey/Chicken low fat formula that I believe got discontinued. They had the 28lb bags on clearance for $40. Still working through them. Once done, I'll move them right into the regular Turkey/Chicken that I assume you are using now. I think the low fat formula was very similar to the regular...they just subbed some of the higher fat ingredient(obviously ;) for something else.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That's funny! We have 4 dogs on Evo....

3 month old Chihuahua puppy - 2 pounds - rescued and taken off Nutro - (the vet approved putting her on it)

18 month old Chow/ Husky mix -75 pounds - taken off the rescue Science Diet at 8 weeks and raised on Innova puppy, then Orijen puppy and Evo

4 year old Boxer /Rottweiler mix - 70 pounds - switched to it after being rescued at 3 1/2 years old - take off rescue food (Nutro)

13 year old Lhasa Apso - 17 pounds - doing the best she's done in her life after being switched from various foods for allergies

I have high praise for EVO and the difference in the little chihuahua puppy in just one week on it was astonishing. After a month on it she has doubled in size and can keep up with the big dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts