Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, has anyone tried Fromm on their pooches? i am interested to find out how your dog did on Fromm Dry Food. I like their ingredients in the food, i noticed they go heavy on the duck.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I have a friend that feeds both of her dogs with sensitive systems Fromm and says that she has wonderful luck with it. I would say give it a try, I have always though it was a decent food.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is a hard food to find. I've noticed it's more scarse than Orijen.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I feed my one of my Italian greyhounds Fromm Surf and Turf, he loves it. I had him on Orijen but he wasn't crazy about it.
I used to feed my dog decent food, before Evo and Orijen and Horizon Legacy, and he liked the previous food better, but I still only feed him the Orijen, Evo, Legacy rotation, and even though he likes the other foods better. I know I'm feeding him the best kibble/canned foods there is, even though he might not like them the best, he's gonna eat them or he'd go hungry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cody has been on the Fromm 4 star duck for over a year and is doing super. He's our AIHA survivor and does best on a moderate protein level with some high quality grains. I like the fact that Fromm is a long time, family held company who owns their own manufacturing plant. Also, they have never been involved in a recall. They do not have BHA/BHT/ ethoxyquin of menadione in their products.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Just found out that the place where I will be getting the Orijen LBP also carries Fromm. They can get me the Large Breed Puppy kibble from Fromm. What do you think of this formula? Doesn't look too bad to me....

Ingredients:
Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Menhaden Fish Meal, Lamb, Potato, Tomato Pomace, Whole Egg, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Salmon Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Cheese, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Calcium Sulfate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

Calorie Content:
kcal/gm: 3.950 | kcal/lb: 1,790 | kcal/cup: 400

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein 26% Min
Fat 14% Min
Fiber 3.5% Max
Moisture 10% Max
Ash 6.5% Max
Omega 6 Fatty Acids 2.3% Min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.4% Min
Lactobacillus Acidophilus 100,000,000 CFU/lb Min
Bifidobacterium Longum 100,000,000 CFU/lb Min
Lactobacillus Plantarum 100,000,000 CFU/lb Min
Enterococcous Faecium 100,000,000 CFU/lb Min

Typical Analysis
Calcium 1.3%
Phosphorus 1.0%
Sodium 0.4%
Potassium 0.6%
Magnesium 0.12%
Zinc 135 mg/kg
Iron 229 mg/kg
Manganese 70 mg/kg
Copper 14.7 mg/kg
Cobalt 0.4 mg/kg
Iodine 1.54 mg/kg
Selenium 0.47 mg/kg
Glucosamine 400 ppm
Chondroiten 40 ppm
Vitamin A 20,800 IU/kg
Vitamin D 1,620 IU/kg
Vitamin E 190 IU/kg
Vitamin K 1.60 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 0.11 mg/kg
Choline Chloride 2,660 mg/kg
Niacin 88 mg/kg
Pantothenic Acid 36 mg/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vit C) 49 mg/kg
Riboflavin 9 mg/kg
Thiamine 10.0 mg/kg
Pyridoxine 5.6 mg/kg
Folic Acid 1.6 mg/kg
Biotin 0.3 mg/kg

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love Fromm! I've only used the 4-star formulas for my dogs, but the store where I work sells alot of Fromm Gold. I like the food and the company.

·
Registered
517 Posts
So are you implying I shouldnt be feeding this food? If you take a look at the foods rating it is rated a 5 star food on both dogfoodadvisor & dogfoodanaylsis
Naaa you can feed it, it actually looks like a good food. If the list only had chicken I'd say no, but the chicken meal helped out. But For my guy, I wouldn't feed it, cause of the pearled barley, pomace, and a couple others. Also the protein to me is a bit low at 24%.

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, White Rice, Whole Dried Egg, Menhaden Fish Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Safflower Oil, Herring Meal, Cheese, Flaxseed, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Folic Acid, Parsley, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 3 chihuahuas thta range in age from 1 year to 10 years old so I prefer a lower protein food Ive tried higher protein diets before with my older chi & he just does not do well on them at all... I used to feed them WEllness but then they changed their formulas & then I switched to Innova who is now being taken over by P & G so Im now trying out Fromm it is the highest quality food that I can get in my town right now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have 3 chihuahuas thta range in age from 1 year to 10 years old so I prefer a lower protein food Ive tried higher protein diets before with my older chi & he just does not do well on them at all... I used to feed them WEllness but then they changed their formulas & then I switched to Innova who is now being taken over by P & G so Im now trying out Fromm it is the highest quality food that I can get in my town right now.
I understand, I too have a little dog at 19 pounds and he's old, I'm just thankful he can take high protein.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm switching mine to Fromm as well. We're getting everybody on the chicken, and going from there, of the Four Star formulas. We've tried higher protein but it isn't necessary for a chihuahua and can make them jittery (moreso than they already are...imagine that!...and aggressive...no thanks). That, and the stools of my dogs never stabilized, so we are sticking with what works for them :eek:. We'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I haven't the foggiest idea why anyone would switch their dog to a food with the "veg in the description.
Whether we all like to admit it or not, dog foods, even the best of 'em, are marketed at people. Dogs don't read the labels and frankly just don't care ;-)

Sucks for all of us that had dogs doing well on Innova, but Fromm is one of the only comparable options left out there now.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I haven't the foggiest idea why anyone would switch their dog to a food with the "veg in the description.
I read this and thought the same exact thing.... but then I thought about it, and even the very best of the best have veggies in them, this one just puts it in the name, marketing to the customer. Some people want the most meat, and no veggies, others really believe that an omnivore diet is best and admire the veggie content. To each their own, I think it's actually a pretty decent food, though the omnivore marketing isn't doing anything for me.

Just found out that the place where I will be getting the Orijen LBP also carries Fromm. They can get me the Large Breed Puppy kibble from Fromm. What do you think of this formula? Doesn't look too bad to me....
It's not grain free, so people entirely on the grain free bandwagon won't recommend it, but I honestly don't think it looks too bad at all. I mean, sure, COULD be a tiny bit better, but it's just as good as the Innova formulas, and from a company still reliable. If I had a large breed pup, I'd *probably* prefer Orijen LBP, but this food would be a contender for sure.

We've tried higher protein but it isn't necessary for a chihuahua and can make them jittery (moreso than they already are...imagine that!...and aggressive...no thanks).
Canines are canines are canines, they are all carnivores, and therefore have pretty much the same nutritional needs in that respect. (only excaption may be large breed puppies and calcium content, though I'm still somewhat on the fence about that one, even)
And the "high protein food causes aggression" bit is a total myth, so I wouldn't worry about that too much at all. Protein does NOT make dogs of any breed or size aggressive.
I've never heard the "high protein makes dogs jittery" line, but I also have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Canines are canines are canines, they are all carnivores, and therefore have pretty much the same nutritional needs in that respect. (only excaption may be large breed puppies and calcium content, though I'm still somewhat on the fence about that one, even)
And the "high protein food causes aggression" bit is a total myth, so I wouldn't worry about that too much at all. Protein does NOT make dogs of any breed or size aggressive.
I've never heard the "high protein makes dogs jittery" line, but I also have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.
If you had X amount of energy and Y amount of potential to expend it, what do you do when you've got 50% of that energy left over? The same is true of dogs. I should have clarified that the high protein didn't cause the agression but gave the extra energy that seemed to give aggression something to stem from. Rather than just a little snarl, they'd go for a nip, rather than a nip, a scuffle, etc. because they just were't expending the energy the same way a larger dog was.

Foxes are closely related to the canine family, but they are omnivores. I don't understand how people constantly overlook that somewhere, there was likely a breakdown in nutritional needs and indeed, some smaller dogs might actually need a few good carbs. Horrors ... NO! I understand that that's not the popular opinion but I know a good many people take the time to at least recognize it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts