Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted our baby, Fraley from a local humane society. We love her to pieces but have had a difficult time with the humane society.

When we went to pick up Fraley she was a mess. Skinny, filthy, nails hadn't been clipped in ages. Which was all pretty shocking to us, since they had had her for over 3 months. She was in a 12 week prison program before we could adopt her.

After we got her home, cleaned up and nails trimmed all was well. Until we took her to the vet the next day. We paid "extra" to have her microchipped while at the humane society. That way we wouldn't have to worry about having it done after we got her. The offered to do it and we paid the "extra" cost for it in her adoption fees. When the vet scanned to double check her id number he couldn't find a chip. So now we have had to pay a second time for a microchip. When I confronted the lady in charge at the humane society I was informed our vet must be stupid to not find the chip and that there was nothing she was going to do to fix the situation or prove there was a microchip originally put in before we left with Fraley.

Anyways, there were more issues we had with them such as her certificate from completing her good citizen classes, it took forever to get that and lots of me calling constantly before they finally sent it to us. We also are dealing with her issues of not being able control her bladder because she was fixed at such a young age.

But through it all we LOVE are little girl and are so glad we adopted her.

Now we are looking into fostering and volunteering with a rescue group. And we couldn't be happier in doing so!

Reactions: dogtrainer1507

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would ask for the paperwork PROVING that they gave her a microchip. If they cannot provide said paperwork, then ask for a refund. Your vet is not stupid just because they couldn't find a microchip. If they couldn't find a microchip, there was none implanted by the rescue group in the first place.

I would bet big $$$ that they thought they did it, but when injecting the microchip it didn't actually stay under the skin and either stayed inside the needle or fell out on the dog's fur somewhere. I have seen that happen several times. That is why we ALWAYS scan an animal immediately after implanting the chip to double check that it is in fact there.

That would explain the confusion on both sides, BUT I would demand that information from there ASAP. If they cannot provide it...it never happened.

On a more positive note...THANK YOU for adopting a dog!! That is really great of you. I highly recommend getting into volunteering with a organization. We volunteer and foster for the local Great Dane rescue group here in Denver and it is so rewarding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have attempted multiple times to no avail on getting paperwork proof of her being microchipped. We are to the point now that I call they hang up on me, or I email and they never reply. I'm over it at this point and am going to cough up the extra $$$ to have another one put in by our vet.

We love our vet dearly and he is a close family friend so I have no doubts that when he says he can't find it and its not there, that its not there. But oh well....gotta do what's best for our pup at this point. No matter the extra cost.

My husband and I both LOVE danes. We have a relatively small house at the moment but are looking for a farm house with some land in order to get danes and have plenty of space for them. Our current pup was supposed to be the size of a lab full grown. Seeing as she's now about 6 months old and between 30-35 lbs already we are thinking she's going to be bigger than a lab. Not that we mind! :) We are both big dog people! Haha! I saw a picture of a dane/pit mix and Fraley looks SO much like it that I am wondering if that may be what she is...but who knows! Haha! We love her no matter what!

We never even considered a breeder. There are so many homeless pups and its so sad to see. We definately wanted to change a life. In the end she's probably changed ours more than we've changed hers! We are so blessed to have her!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
HA! Small house shouldn't stop you from getting Danes LOL...we live in under 800 square feet with our 4 girls: 2 Danes, 1 wolf hybrid dog, and 1 Heinz 57...as well as a foster Dane at any given point in time. Danes just need big comfy sofas to lay on, thats about it. We took them all for about a 30 minute walk/run/playtime and now they are all passed OUT on the dog beds and have been for the past few hours! They really don't need as much exercise as one would think.

As far as the rescue group that you got your pup from, spread the word that they are shady. Word of mouth is a very successful tool, so use it to your advantage. Karma has its way of coming back to pay respects LOL

Either way you ended up the lucky one with the new addition to your family...she is a total cutie :biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts