Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bubba and malia got fish yesterday....

smelt, to be exact.

i don't remember where i read it, but i fed it to them frozen...

now i don't remember why.

i know that there are fishes that need to be frozen for a while because of parasites...

but, do fishes have to be SERVED frozen?

and how often do you feed your dogs fish?

what kind of fish do you feed?

so far, i have access to: (we do live in the pacific nw, so farmed for salmon and trout)

farmed salmon heads and tails
farmed trout
smelt
sardines (maybe)
talapia

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No they don't need to be fed frozen. If your dog will eat them frozen that's fine. We thaw them for our girls.

On a regular basis 2 of ours eat whole tilapia. We'll also feed tuna, sardines, salmon (and salmon heads), trout, mackerel, pretty much whatever fish we can get our hands on that they'll eat.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they don't need to be fed frozen. If your dog will eat them frozen that's fine. We thaw them for our girls.

On a regular basis 2 of ours eat whole tilapia. We'll also feed tuna, sardines, salmon (and salmon heads), trout, mackerel, pretty much whatever fish we can get our hands on that they'll eat.

when you say tuna, are you talking about canned? and sardines? canned? or no...

salmon heads, i would probably freeze and feed frozen, since mostly they are not farmed but wild and they are paicific northwest...

thanks...they loved the smelts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is a good question, I see mixed things on Salmon (fresh anyway)

We have water behind our home that has fish:

Blue Gill, Sunfish, & Bass - fresh water. Is this ok? I live at the ocean and fish is HIGH here unless I want to fish off the pier - cant see it lol.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

smelt, to be exact.

i know that there are fishes that need to be frozen for a while because of parasites...

I feed my dogs salmon or mackerel once a week. Almost always canned. You don't need to serve frozen but if I were you, I'd freeze them for a month before feeding salmon.

so far, i have access to: (we do live in the pacific nw, so farmed for salmon and trout)

farmed salmon heads and tails
farmed trout
smelt
sardines (maybe)
talapia
I wouldn't feed salmon heads or tails. There's just not much nutrition there. The fish guy in my grocery store used to give me salmon heads and I fed them a little while cause they were free. But after looking at them, they were almost 100% bone. Trout, smelt, sardines, and talapia are great to feed.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

smelt, to be exact.

I feed my dogs salmon or mackerel once a week. Almost always canned. You don't need to serve frozen but if I were you, I'd freeze them for a month before feeding salmon.

I wouldn't feed salmon heads or tails. There's just not much nutrition there. The fish guy in my grocery store used to give me salmon heads and I fed them a little while cause they were free. But after looking at them, they were almost 100% bone. Trout, smelt, sardines, and talapia are great to feed.
when we lived in georgia, we always had access to fishing ponds....manmade, yes....but still...always had fresh fish.

you don't have that where you are?

how come only once a week? and how come canned, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, i forgot.....fish heads, if i remember correctly, have more nutrients than the entire fish...

fish heads are wonderful.....and if they are wonderful for humans, they can't be bad for dogs.....

ps. we did freeze the smelts for a month...we'll do that with all of our fish.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've fed Hannah whole Talapia twice. She's not crazy about it at all. I normally have to do the whole "tough love" game when it comes time for her to eat fish. And both times she left the head. Maybe I'll try another fish next time.

Has anyone ever fed catfish?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at first, my dogs dismissed the fish. i'm glad now i left it frozen because by the time they got to it after sniffing and walking around to it...it was probably defrosted....or starting to..it's just a smelt....they're small.

i am going to try tilapia....next...and see

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I started on fish the other night, whole Tilapia. At first, I only did Ryou and Kuso, because Amaya had just had her surgery that day, and we couldn't get her to eat anyways (on top of being hormonal after her period). It took them all of about an hour to finish their fish. We gave it to them again yesterday, or at least my husband did. So I don't know how long it took Ryou and Kuso to eat theirs, but we did start Amaya, and Adam says that she took an hour and a half eat half of it, then gave her the other half last night, but she left the head. I just turned around and gave the head to Ryou, who snapped it up (but we went into the shower after that, so I don't know if it took him long to eat it. haha). I plan on giving them salmon heads, just because it's salmon in a cheaper form, but it probably won't be a weekly thing. I'll probably do it about once every two weeks or so, and supplemented with a turkey breast meal or something, because the turkey breast never has bone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ShopRite has canned sardines 10 for $10. After looking at this thread and seeing that canned is okay I think I'm going to buy them since they are on sale.

I bought catfish chunks one time and Hannah liked that. I don't think I'll be buying the talapia for awhile.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I feed canned only because that's all they'll eat.

I bought a box of 50 pounds of tiliapa for $40 thinking that they'll eat it with no problems. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

That fish is now owned by some gentleman in Orlando. LOL :tongue:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have two dogs who think salmon oil gelcaps are a treat...so in this way, i might have gotten lucky...

i don't know if they ate it because they were hungry...or they liked it...but i'm giving it to them again today...i figure every few days, they should get some fish....

and we'll see about salmon and trout...i'm a little leery of salmon and trout, because of where we live (pacific NW).

but tilapia is on the list, and if they don't like it, that's okay...sardines and smelts and gelcaps should give them what they need.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success! Hannah loves canned sardines. And I got them on sale. YAY!
yay!

i wonder if she'd like kippers and herring LOL

and clams and oysters? there are lots of canned fish....although you gotta watch out for those boneless skinless ones....where's the fun in that? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I feed canned only because that's all they'll eat.

I bought a box of 50 pounds of tiliapa for $40 thinking that they'll eat it with no problems. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

That fish is now owned by some gentleman in Orlando. LOL :tongue:
I'm getting ready to start adding fish and I'm thinking about starting with canned first to see if Koda will like it, before purchasing something like whole talapia.

With an 80 pound golden retriever, how much canned sardines/salmon, etc would you feed as one meal?

Thanks,
Jean

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i read it here about fish and how dogs react to it....

i used to feed canned salmon and tuna and then looked at the sodium content...WOW...

we bought a little package of smelts and tried it. if that hadn't worked, we would have tried something else..

since we weigh our dogs food, the fish would be counted as part of the weight. we're not at that point yet where we know their comfort zone.

i know someone else here who has big dogs could answer this one for your golden retriever....

·
Registered
939 Posts
With an 80 pound golden retriever, how much canned sardines/salmon, etc would you feed as one meal?
You may want to start off with a smaller amount just to see how she takes to it first, but ultimately I would say that about 1 to 1 1/2 cans of something like salmon for a meal would be good. :smile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts