Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep forgetting to post this.
I did a full allergy profile on Jack (my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) and he was allergic to pork. Highly allergic.
Whenever I fed him any kibble with pork in it, he would scratch and rub incessantly for days, and of course his skin would turn bright red.

As an experiment, because protein changes when it's cooked, I have been giving him raw pork.
Guess what?
No reaction.
:)

Just thought I'd share.

I'm working on my husband to write up a success story for Jack as well.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
This definitely shows that most dogs that are allergic to specific protein sources can do just fine on them RAW because the tests are done with COOKED protein. Why on earth would these "allergy" tests cover raw meats, when the nutrition world is backed by false information and ideas?

This is actually something that I asked my boss (vet) about. I asked her if the allergy panels done cover raw meats, and she said probably not because the allergic reactions don't change from raw vs cooked. She said that the denaturing of proteins doesn't change their ability to cause allergies, that they are one and the same. She actually did have a hard time answering my question about it, which now makes total sense.

This tiny bit of information just gives one more reason why dogs should eat a raw diet. The fact that they can, and often do, show allergies to certain COOKED protein sources means that they cannot tolerate them as well as the raw counterpart. I wonder what the panel would look like if they added raw proteins to it...would be interesting to see if results would show high allergic reaction to the cooked, but not to the raw. I sense a need to do research LOL

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His skin would get so red, and he would rub his face, scratch, whine, everything.

It's a huge difference.

He loves some pork riblets these days!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.