Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! After reading tons of stuff online, I recently switched my lab/dane mix from beneful (yuck, I know now) to Wellness Super5mix chicken. I did a slow transition starting about 3 weeks ago and she's been on the Wellness soley for little over a week. Her stools are past the point of being mushy, it's almost liquid. We took her to the vet last week to have her checked out and the vet said she seems fine. Does the food just not work for her? Should we try to switch her to something else? FWIW, we thought she had allergy issues a long time ago and she was on the prescription SD stuff while we tried to reintroduce proteins. We could never figure it out and we often switched b/t a variety of "crap" dog foods and proteins without noticable problems. Should I try a different protein anyway?

Any advice would be super helpful. My husband wants to just get another bag of the salmon beneful she was on before this started and I'm so hesitant to do that but I also need to be able to figure out what's wrong with her.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
How much are you feeding? I would give it more time as a lot of times it takes some dogs longer to adjust. The crap food you were feeding was full of fillers so that was what kept her poo solid, I would also probably cut the amount you are feeding back as it is much richer than you previously were feeding and see if that helps also. Good Luck, and I'll let some kibble feeders take over with more suggestions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Our dog had the exact same reaction on Wellness Puppy (identical ingredients to the Super5 chicken), and his stools never got better. In Stan's case it wasn't an allergy to the protein source, but the grains. We now know he is allergic to oats and barley, the 3rd and 4th ingredients in the Wellness, which explains why the poor little guy suffered perma runny poos. After switching, it was almost instant relief.
Maybe give it a while longer, and if it doesn't improve, try a grain free formula..?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'd get her on some California Natural Chicken/Rice for awhile. Let things settle down...then slowwwwwly try out some new foods a month or 2 from now.

Beneful is not the answer.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Here are the ingredients to Wellness Supermix

Deboned Chicken, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Rye Flour, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Whitefish, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomatoes (source of Lycopene), Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Potassium Chloride

It seems to have 6 grains in it which is a lot compared to the meat content and could be his problem. You might want to try switching to a food with a higher meat content per grain ratio if you can't go to totally grain free. There are a lot of good foods out there that just have a little bit of grains in them. Check out the dog food review for different foods or just our forum for suggestions.

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thanks everybody! I think I'll give her another couple days and in the meantime I ordered a different food. Hopefully it clears up soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts