Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

My name is John and I have a 2 year old Brussels Griffon/Yorkie Mix that is the love of my life. On Saturday my wife and I left our dog with my parents while we were out doing some shopping. They have a dog and they love to play together in the yard. When we went to pick her up she was pretty much out like a light. Late that night she started vomiting badly, so the next morning I gave her some rice and chicken and she seemed to be fine.

Monday and Tuesday she was completely normal. Wednesday she started vomiting again. I was talking to my Dad and I found out that she had eaten a lot of a plant in their pool area. I took her to the vet immediately and they examined her and determined that the plant may have caused gastritis. They gave her IV Fluids and some Hills Prescription Diet I/D as well as a nausea medicine and antibiotic. They also have me giving her some pepcid for the next week. The vet told me I needed to switch to a better brand of food and really pushed for Science Diet. I didn’t know any better so I agreed to switch her after she was feeling better.

Anyway, I decided to do some Googling on Science Diet and why they vet made it sound like the best thing in the world and I found this site. Unfortunately this site caused a lot of shock and horror in just the first few minutes of reading. Not only is Science Diet a poor food, but the food my vet told me was okay to feed my dog when she moved off of puppy food is even worse (Beneful). It upsets me that I was feeding my dog something so horrible.

Now that I am armed with the knowledge of this site, I am ready to switch her to something that isn’t complete crap. Neither my wife or I want to try and do the raw type of feeding, but we really want to find a dry food that is of a better quality for her. We live in a very small secluded town and the only food that I could find within driving distance that seems acceptable on this forum is Blue Buffalo. My plan is to switch her to the Blue Buffalo Small Breed Chicken & Brown Rice dry food once everything with her stomach gets settled. My only other alternative would be to order food online which I am not very comfortable with since it would be easier to just run down to the store and be able to get food if she was ever running low.

Is the Blue Buffalo going to be an acceptable choice and a good step up from the Beneful? Could there be a better food out there for such a small breed of dog that I am just not aware of? She is very small, 9.6 pounds, and she is very active and playful. This dog will play all day if you have the energy even if she just got back from one of her 1 mile walks that we do twice a day. She has never had any health issues besides this current stomach symptom. I just want to make sure I’m giving her the best food that is available to me.

One last question. Once she’s finished with this Hills Prescription Diet I/D that I am only feeding her because the vet said, should I start feeding her the Beneful again for a few days and then introduce the Blue Buffalo into her diet, or should I immediately start her on the Blue Buffalo and totally exclude Beneful from her diet because she hasn’t been eating it anyway?

Sorry for such a long post, and extremely sorry for my poor choice in food for my dog. I really appreciate any help or advice you give!

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Welcome and I must add that you have very precious dogs :)

As far as the food goes, definitely blue buffalo is a huge upgrade from beneful or SD, the only reason vets reccomend it is because they get perks from sales reps throughout their years at vet school such as free food, scholarships, paid lunches, material, vets arent required to take a cource in nutrition, so a rep from Hills comes in and gives them a lecture on how great corn is..:rolleyes:

I'm really glad you've come across this forum, we all want whats best for our pups. If I were you, I'd start switching from SD to blue buffalo without going back to beneful, remember to transition slowly and you may want to add a couple teaspoons of plain yogurt to aid with digestion.

Also if you have any feed stores in your area, they will often carry better brands, I livei in a small town and a feed store 5 mins away has a huge selection of premium foods compared to a petsmart thats 10 mins away, plus they have better prices. I buy taste of the wild for my cats and its $22 for a 15 lb bag at tractor supply and $35 at a local boutique, so shopping around is important.
Forgot to mention, if you havent done so already, whatever brand youre interested in, each website has a store locator on it, which makes it easier to find places that sell it.

Other good brands include innova, orijen, acana provincial, natures variety, wellness just to name a few. I think majority would side with orijen since its a high quality, grain free food, a bit on an expensive side, but its very nutrient dense and dogs need very little of it compare to other brands.

Best of luck to you and your dogs and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome. I'm also glad that you came across this site...there are plenty of knowledgeable and experienced people out there. I just went to a seminar on nutrition (sponsored by Purina) and they all said that higher protein is now the way to go.

Blue Buffalo is a decent food and much better than SD or Beneful, which is full of preservatives and artificial colors. I would try and find a better food than compared to Blue Buffalo since there are better ones out there.

I did a search for stores that provide Orijen that are near/in Iverness that possibly are close enough for you to get food from.

Champion Products (Orijen and Acana):

Lakeside Kennels
5999 East Turner Camp Road
Inverness, FL 34453
Phone: (352) 726-5591

Taste of the Wild:

Taste of the Wild : Dealer Locator

Natura Products (EVO, Innova, Cali Natural etc):

Where to Buy Natural Pet Food, Organic Dog Food & Healthy Dog Treats – Natura Pet Products

Good luck...I hope you can find if any of these retailers is close by.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you both for the comments so far! I really do appreciate the help

I guess I need to get out of the mindset of supermarket shopping :biggrin: . Thank you for posting those links, Bow Wow Boutique seems to carry a lot of the brands that everyone likes on these forums so I will be making a trip down there on my lunch break. I haven't done any work at all today, been reading this site for the past 3 or so hours.

So I have some new questions now, and forgive my ignorance on the subject, I know that I have already read the answer to this but I just want to be sure.

I am guessing that Innova Adult Dry Dog Food - Small Bites is a superior food to the Blue Buffalo product I had originally planned on using. However, the Blue Buffalo product was for “Small Breeds” which is what my dog is. I know I have read that companies just label things as “Small Breed” as a marketing ploy, but is there nothing that is specifically made for my size dog? I don’t want to give her anything else that could cause more problems so I am just being a little bit paranoid :) . I guess after 20 years of being told “This Is GREAT for your pet!” it’s kind of hard to get out of that mindset.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you'll learn alot and have many questions.

I talked my Mom into switching her mini/toy poodle from nutro to Innova small bites and her "Buffy" loves this food and it is not too big for her tiny mouth.

I think you should give it a try as Innova usually has sample sizes to try.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
theres no real difference between small and large breed formula, usually the only difference is in large breed puppy foods because they need different calcium/phosphorus requirements.

I compared the ingridients in both formulas:

blue buffalo small breed:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Peas, Whole Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved naturally with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Egg, Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Fish Oil (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaneoic Acid), Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Dicalcium Phosphate, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Garlic, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Dried Chicory Root, Oil of Rosemary,(plus vitamins and minerals)

Innova:
Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Barley, Brown Rice, Potatoes, Rice, Chicken Fat, Flaxseed, Herring, Natural Flavors, Apples, Carrots, Pumpkin, Egg, Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Herring Oil, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Direct-Fed Microbials, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamins/Minerals

With couple minor differences, either one looks fine to me. I would advice getting a small bag first because I heard that some dogs get really bad gas on BB during the transition period.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Mostly the difference is in the size of the kibble pieces. But the bigger the pieces are the more she will have to chew them. While chewing on kibble is not really effective at scraping tartar off, chewing her food well will help some. I would also recommend getting canned food as well. Contrary to popular belief, canned food is actually about 3 times lower in calories on average than dry food. Canned food also provides a bit more moisture which is good for the kidneys.

I would also ask the boutique owner for some samples so you can give the different formulas a try and see what works best for you and your dog. They should be happy to provide them to you at no cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the information that you are providing!

I called the store I linked in an earlier post and they told me that they do not carry the Innova line of dog products, but carry the Evo line which has the same parent company. The woman on the phone suggested Orijen which they do carry and from reading on this site and Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble it looks to be a very good food.

I am going to pick up some samples from them tomorrow and see how everything goes. I'm still going to keep calling around trying to locate the Innova dog food products.

I would also recommend getting canned food as well. Contrary to popular belief, canned food is actually about 3 times lower in calories on average than dry food. Canned food also provides a bit more moisture which is good for the kidneys.
My vet always told me canned food caused cavities and was bad for my pet's teeth. Would I mix the canned food with dry food or would I feed the canned food exclusively for a few meals a week.

Once again thanks for everything.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
My vet always told me canned food caused cavities and was bad for my pet's teeth. Would I mix the canned food with dry food or would I feed the canned food exclusively for a few meals a week.
This *may* be true, but I doubt it unless the dog eats nothing but crap canned food. I do several dog dentals a week and dogs just don't get cavities like we do. Gum disease yes, abscessed roots, you bet but not cavities.

It sounds to me like your vet has no real knowledge on canine nutrition and dental hygiene. I would go ahead and feed both canned and dry and your dog should be just fine.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I am guessing that Innova Adult Dry Dog Food - Small Bites is a superior food to the Blue Buffalo product I had originally planned on using. However, the Blue Buffalo product was for “Small Breeds” which is what my dog is. I know I have read that companies just label things as “Small Breed” as a marketing ploy, but is there nothing that is specifically made for my size dog? I don’t want to give her anything else that could cause more problems so I am just being a little bit paranoid :) . I guess after 20 years of being told “This Is GREAT for your pet!” it’s kind of hard to get out of that mindset.
Just for your information on "small breed' food. I am currently taking care of my son's 2 pound chihuahua puppy. We are feeding her Evo small bites dog food and a variety of canned foods. She actually is eating the exact same food as the 75 pound dogs and the 15 pound dog. Sometimes she gets a piece of two of an Orijen kibble (we alternate foods) and it just takes her a little longer to chew it. We don't give her anything special because she is a tiny breed. And she is growing up just fine and has lots of energy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I ended up getting Orijen Six Fish because they didn't have the Orijen Adult, but they are ordering it and will have it on Tuesday for me if I need it.

I was expecting to pay a lot more for the food, honestly it's not to much more then the Beneful I was using. The store is even allowing me to take the food back if my dog doesn't like it, however Macchi seems to be fine with this new food. I haven't given her much, maybe a teaspoon, but she eats it just like she would her Beneful or Prescription I/D stuff.

One thing I noticed was the smell when opening the bag. It may be because I quit smoking and I am more sensitive to these things but holy crap does it smell. Has a much stronger odor then the old stuff!

I will keep you all updated on how she reacts to the food. Should I be looking out for anything in terms of a bad reaction? I doubt I'll notice an actual difference in her hair because she is already pretty shiny and soft due to us giving her fish oil for dry skin and a good combing every day, but is there anything else I could notice an improvement on? If she gets anymore energy I'm gonna be in trouble because she already can go all day and night playing :tongue: .

On a side note, I have gotten my parents to switch from Nutro because of what I showed them, and I pissed off a lot of people on facebook this morning by posting information I’ve learned about dog food! I pretty much just came out and said “If you’re buying your pets food at Walmart, your buying them trash” and linked to a few sites.

Thanks For The Help Everyone!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Yeah, it does have a fishy smell, though personally I dont find it unplesant, I just bought a small bag of Evo salmon/herring and it reminds me of a pike market in seattle when I lived there.

Make sure to transition slowly since some digestive issues like gas and diarhhea are not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
One of the key things to look at is Macchi's poos. I know, it's weird. But it really is an important indicator of health.

Since you have switched to a food that is soooo much better, you should start to notice smaller poos that hold their form well. Smaller because there is less undigestable filler in the new food, so Macchi will be able to actually USE more of it.

And yes, the GOOD fish kibble reeks! I honestly don't know if WalMart has any fish based dog foods, but if they do, I'd be willing to bet that there isn't much actual fish in them. :wink:

BTW, where the heck did you find Orijen that is close to the same price as Beneful?!?!?:eek:

Good luck with the transition!
Richelle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
And yes, the GOOD fish kibble reeks! I honestly don't know if WalMart has any fish based dog foods, but if they do, I'd be willing to bet that there isn't much actual fish in them. :wink:

BTW, where the heck did you find Orijen that is close to the same price as Beneful?!?!?:eek:

Good luck with the transition!
Richelle
I am going to try and ease her into the food over a 2 week period, and just keep adding a little bit each day until she is getting a full cup of it a day.

I should've been more clear about the pricing. The food does cost 50% more then the Beneful, $10 vs. $15 for a small bag. I was expecting to be paying $20+. And since Macchi will be getting less of this food the price will almost even out.

On a side note, I've stumbled across a few post today stating that High Protien Grain Fee foods such as Orijen are for "Working" dogs. Do I have a chance of hurting Macchi or making her heavy with this food if I'm not careful?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ruffrider25

You made a great choice! I was in your shoes a little over a year ago. I have a 2 yr. old Miniature Schnauzer whom I purchased from a breeder when she was 8 wks. old. They had her on Nutro Max and I assumed that was a good food. When it was time to transition her to an adult food I began researching and found that Nutro, along with many other foods that one can purchase from those "chain" pet stores are CRAP!
She has been on Orijen, what I feel is the best dry food on the planet, for about a year now. It was great to take her in for her 1 yr. check-up and the first thing her vet said was, WOW! I credit Orijen for that.
I have also had many friends switch to high-quality foods, changing one dog at a time.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ah, the "high protein is for working dogs" myth. :rolleyes:

Dogs are MADE to eat high amounts of protein. High protein foods are juuust fine for all dogs.

Orijen IS a much richer food than what Macchi is used to. As I said before, she will absorb and use more of it than she was with the SD or Beneful. So you'll likely need to feed her less of it. But it sounds like you already knew that. :)

Just keep an eye on her figure. If you notice her gaining weight, lower the amount you feed her.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts