Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some left over flax seed oil that I was using with Koda's other food.

I hate to throw it away - are there any good uses for it?

Thanks,
Jean

·
Registered
126 Posts
I feed flax seed oil to my horse. I am not sure if the engridients are the same but if you know any one with horses they might be interested. It really gives them a shiny coat.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
flax seed oil will go bad after a while..might want to smell it first..nothing worse than rancid oil...:)

it's a bowel irritant and its uses, while touted as wonderful by so many.....i must confess i have concerns.....

i used to include it in my dog's diet until i read more about flax seed...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flax seed oil will go bad after a while..might want to smell it first..nothing worse than rancid oil...:)

it's a bowel irritant and its uses, while touted as wonderful by so many.....i must confess i have concerns.....

i used to include it in my dog's diet until i read more about flax seed...
What did you read about that changed your mind?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Flaxseed actually contains the most omega 3 fatty acids in it compared to any other source, even fish oil or cod liver oil. I would say that it is harmless to give to your dog as long as its not spoiled and you give it in small doses.

People will say that its "biologically inappropriate" but since its flaxseed OIL and not flaxseeds, I see no harm. Its the valuable omega 3 fatty acids that you want out of flaxseeds so if that is all you get in the gel caps then you've got the best of both worlds.

I haven't heard anything bad about flaxseed oil, so I would also be interested in knowing what changed your mind about it (magicre)?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
flax seed oil is a great product, i believe, for humans....it's a nasty tasting substance....but dogs simply don't need a bowel irritant...they get plenty of fibre from bone.....

this is one of the articles i read, so for me, it's more a matter of which is best for the dog, not whether or not it's a bad thing. it's not a bad thing....i just prefer the eficacy of fish oil and fish

Fatty Acids for Dogs | Fish Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Omega-3 and 6 Fatty Acids

this is not to say that giving your dog flaxseed oil is a bad thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts