Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I mentioned my dog has flaky skin. Somebody mentioned that I use Fish Oil (I have Salmon Oil at home in 1000mg). Can I just pop one of these over the counter supplements into his food? Or is there a special one especially for dogs?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I tried giving my dog capsules, but he spit them out, some dogs love them, so go figure. You can also buy liquid salmon oil such as grizzly or or alaskan bear brand. Both are pretty good. I use it in the winter since Uno's skin always gets dry.

·
Registered
474 Posts
stick a pin in capsule and put the oil on their food. or feed them some canned salmon or mackerl once or twice a week, right RFD?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I give my dogs fish oil in their morning food. I just cut the tip of the capsule with my kitchen scissors and it works fine. Just the very tip though because ugh you don't want that smell on your clothes all day haha! I buy the fish oild from sams club and I also buy the gluchosimine chondrotin with msm from sams. My vet said any of these are great from those type stores. Hopefully you will see an improvement. Try also an oatmeal shampoo but they have tons of shampoo for flaking and if they are itching! Good Luck!:smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
stick a pin in capsule and put the oil on their food. or feed them some canned salmon or mackerl once or twice a week, right RFD?
What about Sardines?

Anyway, you can use the same capsules you'd take yourself. My dogs will take them like a treat, no problem. Or, you can stick a pin in it and put it over their food.
You can buy the salmon oil bottles they sell in health food and pet stores if your dogs really like the flavor just to spoil them, but IMO they aren't any better than the capsules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts