Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was just wondering if there was a certain way to transition a dog to home made diets? Should i fast him the night before then go straight away to the diet?

Reactions: BarbaraKnapp

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it really depends on what type of homemade.

If cooked, I would transition slowly much like you would when switching kibbles.

If raw, then I would fast for at least 12 hours and then your good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with what Britt said I just want to add that if you switch to raw, make an abrupt change without mixing commercial dog food with the raw diet.
Start slowly! but once you start, give your dog ONE FOOD for a minimum period of 1 week to a maximum of 10-15 days.
Choose one protein source, such as chicken, and feed ONLY CHICKEN for this period. Then you can start with vegetables mixed with meat offal, or with minced chicken meat. After about 15 days start to introduce another protein source such as beef. For a week then serve only chicken, beef and vegetables. Continue doing so, introducing a new food every week. Wait for at least 1 month before adding any type of supplements.

With cooked the switch is easier and you can simply prepare a homemade meal from one day to the next.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
And, take off the skin and fat when you first start raw. When the poops are fine add them back in very gradually. No organs when you start off either. Watch the poop, thats the secret - too soft add in more bone, too hard (very crumbly) add in a bit more muscle meat.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Have you done a thorough job of reading books on this subject?
Donald Strombeck's _Home Prepared Dog and Cat Diets_ is a good start, Lew Olsen's books, Monica Segal's books and booklets are all an excellent start.
There are books on raw as well.
Just want to be sure your guy gets what he needs :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts