Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know fresh while fish is superior to canned, but my limited freezer space until December proposes a few problems. (in fact, I might have to go back to the 50% kibble until then, because my grandparents whom I live with are not thrilled about me taking up the freezer space. Hopefully that doesn't happen)
I've given the boys canned mackeral once a week for some time now. They seem to be a little bored with it. I want to mix it up a little for them, are theere any fish I should stay away from? What about sardines? I buy Talapia for myself regularly, what about that?

·
Banned
620 Posts
I know fresh while fish is superior to canned, but my limited freezer space until December proposes a few problems. (in fact, I might have to go back to the 50% kibble until then, because my grandparents whom I live with are not thrilled about me taking up the freezer space. Hopefully that doesn't happen)
I've given the boys canned mackeral once a week for some time now. They seem to be a little bored with it. I want to mix it up a little for them, are theere any fish I should stay away from? What about sardines? I buy Talapia for myself regularly, what about that?
If you can I would say avoid the bottom dwellers like catfish. The PCBs tend to be around the bottom when the fish are picking up the muck. If your concerned about things like PCBs getting into your dogs diet, select the type of fish that have less of a chance getting the PCBs into their system. Sardines and anchovies are probably good, including the oils. Lot of people don't consider stuff like that when thinking about fish in the diet (the PCBs), but it is a concern for those hoping to eliminate potential dangers in the diet.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I've been feeding my dogs canned salmon and mackerel once a week since I began feeding raw 7 years ago. I will usually mix in some liver and a raw egg to kinda spice it up some for them. I used to throw in some chunks of beef heart but quit that and began feeding whole meals of beef heart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts