Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've added fish this week, so my husband and I visited three local Asian markets today. I grew up in San Francisco, but moved away in 1998, and boy did this take me back!

There was a pretty big variety at the stores - but MANY bags were not labeled and we had no idea of price or even what they were! The stores were pretty busy, so we did not get a lot of help. What we did manage to buy is mackeral ($2/pound), conger-pike ($2.62/pound), perch and "basa" (which I have never heard of!). I am sure that mackeral and perch are OK, but not sure about pike or "basa." Before we feed it, can I get some input?

As always, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we just ran into the same problem at our asian market...with bonita and names i'd never heard of...

i also see i have to be careful and not buy salted fish....

i am guessing that croaker and bonita and pike mackerel are good, especially if they are wild...

but we also found black goat, which i believe, while not fish, is korean goat....and all kinds of fresh and frozen goodies.....

i do know that sardines, anchovies and smelts are very good for the dogs....other than that....i'm staying away from salmon, farmed or wild....and trout, pacific northwest farmed or wild.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The fish market I go to (in Sri Lanka) has hundreds of varieties and there is no way of getting their proper names to figure out any info on the fish. However, 30% of my dogs' meal is fish. I do rotate the varieties though (most of them are small fish, since the big varieties are expensive). I do this to keep the costs down (I pay about $0.60/pound for fish)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts