Dog Food Chat banner

Fish oil supplements

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  wags 
#1 ·
Can I give my dog human supplements? I take a 1200mg Omega 3 and 6 pill, my dog weighs about 18-20 lbs, could I just cut the plastic gel skin and pour the oil on his food?

#2 ·
yes you can use the fish oil that humans take. as for how much, i'm not too sure because I don't currently supplement my dog. but you can definitely use the same one.

#5 ·
I don't know the correct dosages either but since fish oil is the topic here, this is a good time to remind people of Salmon Poisoning Disease, which is a fatal condition that happens to dogs who eat certain types of raw fish, namely salmon, trout, and steelhead (salmonid family). Since salmon is such a widely recommended fish as a natural source for Omega-3 fatty acids, it warrants mentioning.

I learned this from a fishing buddy a number of years ago since we both fish freshwater streams and we both have dogs. I do feed my dogs salmon, but it's always cooked.

Here's some more info on this condition:

Salmon Poisoning Disease

Jay

#6 ·
this is a good time to remind people of Salmon Poisoning Disease, which is a fatal condition that happens to dogs who eat certain types of raw fish, namely salmon, trout, and steelhead (salmonid family).
This is a good point. However, this problem is only in wild caught salmon from the pacific nortwest. Farmed salmon or salmon from other parts of the world are not affected. Freezing fish from the affected area for several weeks will take care of the problem. Most of the salmon bought in grocery stores are farmed unless otherwise stated.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm gonna start him on Orijen 6 fish, it would seem to be easier. I was looking into ordering Tipett Green beef tripe, could I mix these two together? Also can I take "normal canned food, suck as Evo 95%, or another high quality canned food, and mix all three together? I have no idea on how consistent the tripe is, I'm hoping it's "mixable" with dry food.:eek:

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm gonna start him on Orijen 6 fish, it would seem to be easier.
Feeding kibble with fish in the ingredients is not the same as feeding fish or feeding fish oil as far as Omega 3's or any other nutrients are concerned..

I was looking into ordering Tipett Green beef tripe, could I mix these two together?
Yes

Also can I take "normal canned food, suck as Evo 95%, or another high quality canned food, and mix all three together?
Yes

I have no idea on how consistent the tripe is, I'm hoping it's "mixable" with dry food.
Similar to canned dog food.

#10 ·
i haven't tried it but i know plenty of people that do mix em together.

#12 ·
I give my dogs fish oil tabs from sams club. I put one tab on their food in the morning. I cut the end of the tab and put it on. I asked my vet about it and he said one tab is fine. They dont mind it at all! Its good for them! I also give two of my dogs sams club brand glucosimine and chondrotine. The vet also recommended any human grade of the fish oil and the glucosimine and chondrotine!:smile:

Reactions: PUNKem733
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.