Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried looking it up but can't seem to find a straight answer... what is the proper dose of fish oil to give a 9 lb and 3.5 lb dog?
This is the fish oil I bought for them today at central market:

Spectrum Essentials Fish Oil Omega-3 -- 1000 mg - 250 Softgels - Vitacost

It has anchovies, sardines, and mackeral. It also has the mixed natural tocopherols... is this okay? The bottle says they are wild caught fish and is tested by independent labs for PCBs, dioxins, etc.

Thoughts?

Edit: Just read something about having to supplement vitamin e if giving human grade oil, is this true? I just read to give about 5 IUs of vitamin e per pound, and a different site said 1-2 IUs per pound. What the heck are IUs? lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
The recommended dosage is 100mg EPA + DHA per 10lbs of body weight. So looking at the fish oil you bough, each capsule contains 260mg DHA+EPA. Your 9lb dog would need 90mg a day, or 2.5 fish oil pills for the whole week. Your 3.5lb dog would need 35mg a day, or 1 capsule a week. A therapeutic dose would be 3x that amount. Rosey gets a therapeutic dose for her arthritis :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the dogs have the pill in one meal, or should I use the one capsule split over a few days? I would prefer to just give the 3.5 lb dog one pill like, every monday or something, but I can give a little each day if necessary.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd spread it out at first, just to make sure there's no digestive upset, then slowly give more and more at one sitting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay will do. Do you think it will keep for a week in a plastic baggie in the fridge?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts