Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question. How much fish should one feed?
I can have herring fish at really good prize, But I don't know how often should a dog have fish, since it is nor red meat.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
We do one meal a week as a fish meal, usually mackerel. something high in O3's :) but you can feed it as often as you like really, as long as your dog will tolerate it, fish is very boney and the stools may become dusty, and hard. red meats shoudl comprise most of the diet fish would be just a supplement and treat imo ;)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I feed fish as about a third of my meals.. not white fish but oily fish. I do 1/3 poultry, 1/3 red meat and 1/3 fish.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Natalie, if that's not a feasible option (for example, I am currently finding it near IMPOSSIBLE to get ANY fish for a reasonable price, whole or canned, fresh or frozen, anything) - can fish oil capsules be used to supplement? Is it worth it? And do you give the capsules just one day or every day? Fish is the thing I'm having the most trouble finding, it all costs around $7.5/lb+ here!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I feed fish (frozen or fresh) once or twice a week. I'd feed it more if I could get it easier without paying a fortune but I figure feeding it at least once a week is good. I feed sardines and herrings.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Natalie, if that's not a feasible option (for example, I am currently finding it near IMPOSSIBLE to get ANY fish for a reasonable price, whole or canned, fresh or frozen, anything) - can fish oil capsules be used to supplement? Is it worth it? And do you give the capsules just one day or every day? Fish is the thing I'm having the most trouble finding, it all costs around $7.5/lb+ here!!
I am not sure what they have there, but here you can get Salmon oil, its in pump form so no capsules. I was doing the capsules but heard that the capsules themselves could be bad for dogs (I don't remember why)...

Reactions: hmbutler

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Hi, I have a question. How much fish should one feed?
I can have herring fish at really good prize, But I don't know how often should a dog have fish, since it is nor red meat.
the fish that are high in omega 3 include sardines, anchovies, herring and mackerel...

we feed fish once a week.....sometimes twice....

and if we run out, we give them salmon oil....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am not sure what they have there, but here you can get Salmon oil, its in pump form so no capsules. I was doing the capsules but heard that the capsules themselves could be bad for dogs (I don't remember why)...
Ahh righto, thanks for that! Whenever I heard of people giving fish oil, I kind of just assumed they meant in tablet form (probably because I always see the ad's for fish oil capsules on tv haha) but I'm sure we have it in liquid form too, I'll have a look for some today :) thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts