Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke down and ventured out to the Super Walmart today to see what they have in the meat department. It was rather gross, but I took notes! I wasn't sure exactly what is okay to buy and what is not so I thought I'd ask first.

I was able to get a "chicken variety pack' that had breasts, wings, thighs, and backs in it for really cheap so I got three of those. I've never seen chicken backs in a store before.

Then they had all the following and I"m not sure if the dogs can eat any of this or not?

Pork neck bones - large package of small bones- didn't seem to have a lot of meat on them
Tripe - really cheap package of white looking stuff - is it even healthy?
Cow Cheeks - ????
Cow Tongue - I assume this is a muscle meat ?
Whiting Fish - Have no idea what kind of fish this is but it was cheap

They had no liver or kidneys or anything like that and no beef for any good prices. This super Walmart doesn't even have a butcher . I'm going to try another grocery store next week but I just thought I'd ask about those foods. Most of it grossed me out except for the fish so I'm not sure I could even feed a cow tongue but you never know what you'll do for your puppies!

I even ended up talking to the cashier about feeding the dogs the chicken and she said she may try it for her dog because someone else in the store does it!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Skip the tripe, its bleached and has no nutritional value.

Beef cheek meat is good, so is the tongue.

Pork neck bones are a decent buy, but they are very bone heavy...

The fish is ok, probably doesn't have much in the ways of omega fatty acids. But still a decent source of fish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Whole chickens are usually a good buy. foster farms is a brand mine carries that doesn't have any additives such as salt solution.

Keep sodium at 100mg or less, read the label. A lot of the meats at walmart are injected with a tenderizing solution, so keep an eye out.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
At Walmart, the liver is sold in the frozen meat section. So by the frozen chickens and turkeys. My Walmart has both beef and veal sold in clear plastic shrink wrap. The chicken liver is sold in a little Foster Farms tub.

Without bringing up the ol' tripe debate (there's other threads on that), I wanted to give you a little more info about it. Most (if not all) tripe sold in grocery stores is bleached and therefore useless. What you want (if you choose to feed tripe) is green tripe. It looks like... well, what you would expect a cow's stomach to look like, I guess. Sort of brownish green with lots of nasty chunks.

Being the canned food guru that you are, if you decide to feed tripe, I might suggest that you buy it from the pet food store. I think a good brand is Trippett (or something like that). BG used to make a good 100% tripe, but in their efforts to make their food more "complete", they have ruined it. Another way to buy it is online.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whole chickens are usually a good buy. foster farms is a brand mine carries that doesn't have any additives such as salt solution.

Keep sodium at 100mg or less, read the label. A lot of the meats at walmart are injected with a tenderizing solution, so keep an eye out.
I did have some chicken in the cart and then realized it had chicken broth and other stuff added to it so I put it back. I had just assumed it was plain old chicken like I buy at my regular store. I was surprised that some of the prices really weren't that good. The chicken quarters and the beef ribs were actually more expensive then I spend at my 'deluxe, fancy ' grocery store when I get them on sale. Plus, the chicken was in a big sack and had stuff added to it.

I did get a decent deal on the chicken variety pack with the backs in it. I didn't look in the frozen meat section. I'll have to check there next time for the livers and stuff. I almost got whole chickens because they were a good buy but I really have to clean out my little chest freezer first . It's easy to get carried away once you start with this stuff! My husband was getting jealous of the 'dogs food' so I had to buy him some chicken breasts for the grill (and a box of Twinkies for a Labor Day treat!).

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yeah, buying meat has become almost a full-time hobby for many of us. LOL! Wherever I go, I always check out the meat prices. It's comin', Chowder!!

I have found that the more intact the animal is, the cheaper it is. So I almost exclusively buy whole chickens.

On another note, it's strangely easy to find Twinkies at Walmart, huh? :wink: They're, like, at the end of every isle....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, buying meat has become almost a full-time hobby for many of us. LOL! Wherever I go, I always check out the meat prices. It's comin', Chowder!!

I have found that the more intact the animal is, the cheaper it is. So I almost exclusively buy whole chickens.

On another note, it's strangely easy to find Twinkies at Walmart, huh? :wink: They're, like, at the end of every isle....
I can't believe how much time I spent in Walmart!!! As a general rule I used to boycott that store. Look what my dogs have done to me! First I get a motor home just so they can travel with me, now I shop at Walmart just for them.

Next thing you know I'll belong to one of those online forums where they talk about their dogs all day long :biggrin:

And, it's true, there were more Twinkies in people's buggies then meat when I was checking out of Walmart :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
One of the only reasons we step foot into walFART is to buy meat for the dogs. And every single time we check out the cashier asks if we are having a party or BBQ without fail!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can find pretty decent deals at Super WalMart but I do better when I watch the grocery store ads. Right now, Price Chopper has bone-in split chicken breasts for .88 cents a lb. Then, one of the other grocery store, Hyvee will have chicken quarters at 33 cents a pound every few months. I just watch those Wednesday ads and visit the stores online to find those meat sales.

If you can get to the grocery stores fairly early in the morning they will have some of their meat marked down.

I really need to look into some meat wholesalers in the area because I can get it for much cheaper.

Tami

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can find pretty decent deals at Super WalMart but I do better when I watch the grocery store ads. Right now, Price Chopper has bone-in split chicken breasts for .88 cents a lb. Then, one of the other grocery store, Hyvee will have chicken quarters at 33 cents a pound every few months. I just watch those Wednesday ads and visit the stores online to find those meat sales.

If you can get to the grocery stores fairly early in the morning they will have some of their meat marked down.

I really need to look into some meat wholesalers in the area because I can get it for much cheaper.

Tami

I do get a lot of my meat at our regular store on clearance. I've taught my husand to do the walk thru and spot all the 'yellow tag' meat. But we've gotten picky and don't go for it unless it is at least half price !

We're lucky because not that many people grab the clearance meat in our store so I usually have a good selection to choose from every time I go in. I'll be able to get a pretty good beef choice once the dogs are eating beef. They may end up with a lot of london broil or stew beef, but hey....if it's got the yellow tag on it, that's what they're getting!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we were at this huge asian market that we visit every few months...

they sell an american kobe style beef and it's very very expensive...

i asked the butcher what it would cost me for the scrap and i bought it at less than what we pay for hamburger...needless to say, the dogs are NOT getting this stuff LOL

we did get them lamb kidney and lamb tongue and mackerel and goat....we will pay more for some things....but these are not things they get every day..

but....check out your local butchers and independent grocers, if there are any left...

also, you can place an add in craig's list for freezer burned meat....

freeware.org, i think, is another place to get stuff

i'm still boycotting walmart.....that's only because i do have other choices.....and i truly don't trust their meat....i know it's just me...

but we do shop sales....we have a price point and rarely if ever, go over it, although i think tongue is uber expensive....

we also have asian/latino markets...to buy all kinds of goodies....like chicken feet. my babies love chicken feet as a treat....and sardines.....good place to get sardines and mackerel....

·
Banned
547 Posts
There is a local Asian market near me I cannot wait to get my body into LOL. I hate the smell from all the spices in there but think I can handle it to get some good foods I cannot find anywhere else.

Here chicken quarters and whole chickens cost the same, so I buy both :). I am looking into investing in a rifle and a hunters license so I can get myself some Moose and Deer :), but first, I need a larger freezer to hold said animals. I wont buy beef here unless its on sale. I refuse to pay $5.69 a pound...

·
Registered
718 Posts
And every single time we check out the cashier asks if we are having a party or BBQ without fail!
I don't shop at Walmart but I get this question a lot at other stores when I'm out buying a pile of meat. I always just look at them with a serious face and say, "Nope, just picking up lunch."

That always puts an end to their chattiness. :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts