Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I made a big batch of "dog stew " last night, and I know it wasn't completely balanced without a calcium supplement, but I want to hear some opinions about it otherwise! Here's my recipe :

3 lb ground beef
2 oz (roughly) beef liver
1 can (15 oz) peas
4 eggs
8 oz mushrooms
5 oz fresh carrots and kale (leftover pulp from juicing)

Because I didn't have a calcium supplement on hand and wasn't sure about other vitamins /minerals, I did half of chief's regular dry food amount with some of this. I think I made enough to last at least a couple weeks for half of his meals! I will want to switch him completely to homecooked or BARF, but need some advice about making sure its balanced with supplements. By the way, he LOVED it! :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are a lot of vegetables. I usually give 80% of meat. Peas give gas, that's why I never use them. I prefer to give green beans as they don't give gas like peas, and they're rich in fiber.
You can add egg shells and yogurt to have some calcium, even if it wouldn't be enough, but it's better than no calcium at all.
I usually add wild salmon oil for essential fatty acids too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yup, a lot of veggies but a good food. I made up the recipe for you. Balance of zinc, copper and iron is very nice.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for lindseycambell's first food

Add that bit of egg shell and you are good to go. This has way too many calories for Max so calcium and phosphorus would be low and I would need to use some bone meal as well as egg shell. It is balanced for those two, just not enough unless Max ate enough to make him really fat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I will trade out the peas for green beans next time. I'm sure he will still love it, he is just so happy to be getting "people food " :) and thanks so much for plugging it into the nutritional analysis program, that is so cool! I will have to use that as a resource now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts