Dog Food Chat banner
2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  naturalfeddogs 
#1 ·
Just want to say hi and introduce myself, my name is Greg my wife's name is Shelly and we own two pets, Mick a one year old German Shepherd and Charlie an 8 year old tabby cat, look forward to visiting this site as often as possible, our Mick is a finicky eater and we have tried several different brands of food, Blue Buffalo, Dog Chow, Beneful and a few others, he really doesn't seem to get into any food we have tried unless we doctor it up with rice, chicken livers, gizzards(cooked of course) etc.. anyone have any ideas on what we can try that doesn't need to be doctored all the time? Thanks

#2 ·
Hello and welcome..Look in the Dry/canned section for ideas and post questions there, lots of useful info out there.

#3 ·
Welcome to DFC!

Does your GSD have any health issues that would cause his disinterest in food? If not then you've got a case of the picky eater. He's got you wrapped around his toe because he knows if you don't doctor up his food from the start, you'll put something different on there he prefers.

I'd honestly stop doctoring his food and do some serious tough love with him. Give him his bowl of food, undoctored, walk away without saying a word and give him 10 minutes to eat it. If he doesn't eat it pick it up with out saying a word and keep it for his next meal time. He will eventually get hungry enough to just eat it. It may take a few skipped meal times to take effect but ultimately in the long run this is the best thing you can do for a picky dog. Take control back into YOUR hands, not his.

Best of luck!

#5 ·
Hi and welcome!
I second what DaneMama said, time for some tough love :)
Go ahead and ask away in the dry & canned section.

#8 ·
Hello and Welcome! My friend has a GSD that is very finicky and last I knew about ten pounds underweight. She works in a Vet clinic and has had her vet/boss run tons of tests on her, but they do not seem to find anything wrong. Hope your GSD isn't the same and will start to like food more.

#11 ·
Welcome! I agree completely with the tough love thing.

he really doesn't seem to get into any food we have tried unless we doctor it up with rice, chicken livers, gizzards(cooked of course) etc..
Those definitely don't have to be cooked! A lot of us here feed Prey Model Raw to our dogs - nothing cooked at all. To be completeley honest, that's the main thing that helped my picky eater. He wanted nothing to do with kibble in any way shape or form, which is how I discovered raw feeding - it's been the best decision I ever made! He is happily eating his food every day now, and is incredibly healthy.

Whatever way you decide to go, you have come to the right place for help and moral support. Would love to see pictures of your fur kids!

Reactions: RedneckCowgirl
#12 ·
Welcome!:welcome: Tough love does work. Sounds like that is what you will need to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.