Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was my first time offering raw meat as a meal to my rhodesian ridgeback. She is normally a food hound, and will eat anything in sight but she would NOT eat the chicken backs this morning.

I usually feed her in the morning and at night, which she is eager to eat her usual taste of the wild kibble. She barley licked the chicken and walked away. I feel bad :frown:. I did not feed her anything yet, and will wait to offer it to her again later. Do they, develop a liking for it over time?

She seemed really interested in it yesterday when I was packaging all the raw meat, and she even ate a few scraps without hesitation. But when it came to eating it as her meal, she turned up her nose.

I heard this is common, but I feel so bad...forcing her to eat something she doesn't like. Anyone have the same issues? or encouragement?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
She's just confused right now. It's like if you spent your entire life eating corn flakes, and one morning someone said, "You're going to only eat ribs from now on" and you'd never eaten them before in your life. Not that dogs are humans and we should anthropomorphize them, but just to help you relate to what's going on a little.

Some dogs get it right off the bat, but a lot of dogs don't. Continue to offer it to her every day, same cut of meat. Give her 15 minutes to eat it with no distractions (no standing over her encouraging her to eat it, etc.). If she doesn't eat it, simply pick it up and put it back in the fridge. She'll get hungry enough that she'll eat it eventually.

I think we have another member on here whose dog also hates chicken backs but will eat every part of any other animal just fine. However, you want to be the one who controls the food, so for now, focus on getting her to eat that chicken back.

No healthy dog will let itself starve to death and you aren't starving her if you're offering her food at every meal. Some dogs will go up to a week without eating (I would also like to note that I find it very interesting that wolves can go up to 14 days without eating and lose no muscle from it whatsoever), most dogs only take a few days. So just keep being as stubborn as she is, and you should win out in the end :smile:

Maybe after she eats that chicken back, you could try offering her a drumstick instead, see if she likes that better.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ranmiller is correct. She is just confused at this point. She has probably been fussed at for eating "people food" before. It will take her a little while to figure out what she is supposed to do with it. Don't try to help her and don't cajole, beg, plead or do anything to get her to eat.

Try to hand her the food instead of putting it in her bowl. That way she has to take it in her mouth. Don't offer her anything else. No between meal snacks or treats. Just a chicken back at normal meal times.

Don't get the idea you are starving your poor little dog. You aren't. You are offering her food at her normal meal times. It's her decision whether or not to eat it. It won't take long. You are doing the right thing. :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts