Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that I'm all moved in, we'd really like to find a good butcher and hopefully be able to order the dog's food in bulk. I've heard some of you raw experts talk about finding good places, and building positive relationships with butchers and whatnot.
Any pointers for any of us less experienced in this department? How do I even find a decent place? What do you search for?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
A decent place is anyplace that will order for you and sell to you in bulk. There are some general pointers that will help you establish a relationship with a butcher. First and very critical ... visit in person. Don't call on the phone. On the phone you are an interruption. In person you are a customer with money ready to spend. It's much easier to say "no" on the phone also. Don't ask for bones or even dog food. To a butcher, that means femur or knuckle bones and thats not what you want. Tell him you want to order chicken backs, quarters, turkey necks, beef heart, and whatever other parts you want to feed. Always be friendly and don't sound bossy. Don't express frustration about not being able to find what you want. Talk like other places have done this for you in the past and now you want to use him to order your stuff. Don't haggle about price. After you have become a good customer and he realizes how easy you are to serve will be a good time for barganing. Get his name and use it when talking to him. Over time chat with him some and get to know about his life away from the shop. The guy I buy most of my self from, I have met his wife and kids. His son works there also and it is convenient that he knows me. I have been told by some of the wimmens that it helps to show cleavage. :smile: Please don't fuss at me, I've really been told that by two different women. They say the price is cheaper when the cleavage shows. :smile: Always be nice and friendly.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Linsey,

In addition to RFD's tips, you should also venture into Chinatown there in Vegas. It's basically along Spring Mountain Road a few blocks west of the freeway (15). There is a Ranch 99 supermarket at 4175 Spring Mountain Rd which is worth checking out. I frequent one near me here in So. Cal. and it's a great source for all sorts of things, including organ meats.

Chinese markets can be pretty unnerving for Americans on the first visit. They are chaotic and people there are often perceived as rude and pushy by American standards. But it's just their way and after awhile you realize that there is nothing personal meant by it by anyone. As a 6' 1" tall white guy, I stand out like a sore thumb in there, which is sometimes kind of humorous to me just like when I travel on business to Asia and I can see right over the sea of heads on any sidewalk or train. :biggrin: But at 99 Ranch I often find good deals and things I can't find at my local Vons or Albertsons supermarket and after you go a few times it will seem like any other shopping trip. It's worth checking out.

Cheers!

Jay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts