Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought a freezer off of Craigslist!! My queston is how the heck do you guys organize it? Do you put each morning meal in a freezer bag and each p.m. meal in a freezer bag? So I would have a pile or container of bags to feed Mon am and then another container with all the Mon pm meals?
Another words my freezer would be filled with a Mon am & pm container, a Tues am & pm container and so on???? Sorry for being so dumb:confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on the freezer! Gotta love Craig's List.

I like the mix and match approach. I bag the RMBs in one-day increments in separate bags, and wrap a days' worth of MM separately. Then I throw the MM packs into labeled zip locks with the organ meat separately. I just stack them in the feezer, usually with the bones on the shelves and the MM in the door.

Then I stand there and say, hmmmm, tomorrow Cali will have duck necks and lamb hearts. Next day it's something different. :smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Haha my freezer is completely unorganized. The best I got it down to was separating my organs into gallon-sized ziploc bags and putting them all on the top shelf. Everything else is all helter-skelter, I should work on that.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I organize mine into one day baggies for each dog. Annie's go in gallon sized because she eats much more, and Grissom eats so little that sandwhich baggies work fine for his, and our rescue that we are getting will use quart sized. The different sizes are a giveaway as to who the contents are for.
I feed two meals a day, and one is always a lighter meal of chicken, and then a heavier meal of something else. (lamb, beef, goat, pork, turkey, goat, fish, etc.) I also feed a little bit of organs every day rather than in whole meals, so I just drop a glob of liver, and chunk of kidney in each bag.
Since one of the meals is chicken, and each has organs, I don't bother labeling that, and I just label the baggie with whatever other protien source is in there.

Possible contents of a baggie labeled "Lamb":
Chicken quarter
Chunk of lamb breast
glob of chicken liver
chunk of beef kidney

From there, I bag up all my "Lamb" baggies together in a garbage bag, and write "lamb" on the big bag. Then i put all the "beef" baggies in a bigger bag, and label he bigger bag. And do on and so forth. So when I open my freezer, there are several garbage bags, each containing day's worth baggies of that kind of meat.

Every night I pull out the next morning's food, and set them in the sing to thaw overnight. Once it's thawed, I just feed half the baggie in the morning, and i generally give the organs in the morning as well... a habit I got into when organs were new to them so *if* they got loose stools it was in the daytime rather than middle of the night. Then I stick them back into the fridge and feed the remainder of the contents in the evening meal. With three dogs on raw, I'd go through baggies like mad if I did AM and PM meals seprate.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Here is a link to a picture of our freezer...

We package our meat into 12 quart containers (the ones with the white lids) which last about two days for our four dogs. They weigh approximately 10-15 pounds full of meat. We pull one container out and put it on top of the freezer to thaw out overnight. Once it's completely thawed we put it in the fridge until it's gone.

I like having the reusable containers because it's more economical and environmentally friendly. We just rinse the containers out once we are done with them and stack them up until the next meat order. I think we would end up spending a small fortune on plastic baggies if we didn't do containers. Also, plastic baggies tear a lot exposing the meat to freezer burn, which is ultimately harmless but not desirable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You everybody! Some great ideas!!
Now I know what you all mean when you say that you spend hours sorting meat!!
Thanks for your help :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts