Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a black lab puppy last Friday and have switched him from purina puppy chow which the breeder fed him to chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul. I mixed the two gradually until yesterday and now have him on just the chicken soup. When we first got him his stool was super runny and loose. It has got better over the week but is still fairly loose, to the point where it smears when i try to scoop it when its fresh. How long should I wait to try a different food? Could his loose stool be something other than the type of food? Would feeding him a little less possibly help? Any suggestions?

Also after shopping in my area I found this to be one of the best choices for my current budget. I went with the normal puppy over the large breed based on a higher rating on dogfoodanalysis.com but now I'm a little worried about the calcium levels in the normal puppy type and can't find anything stating the levels and not sure if its got the proper content for a large breed dog. I've read numerous posts that large breed types are gimmicks but am concerned about problems down the road with weight and bone/hip/joint issues cause I've heard/read labs are prone to these issues. Should I use a large breed formula? The other kibble I found locally within my budget are premium edge large breed and diamond naturals large breed which appear to be the same except the premium edge doesn't contain salt. Both appear to be a step down from chicken soup tho. If needed I might look to see if I can get a better food from a online store. My original budget was planned to be in the 40-50 dollar range for a 30+ lb. bag but after a recent analysis I really need to be in the 30-40 dollar range.

·
Registered
438 Posts
it hasnt been very long. id give it another week or so, especially if the stools are better than they were on the purina (at least more formed now). you could even cut back in a few days if they arent getting more solid. in the meantime, you could call them and ask what the max Ca levels are in the adult formula and large breed puppy formula (both would probably work for a large breed pup if the max levels arer near 1.7% or less). if anything, the "puppy" fromulas for some manufacturers is geared toward smaller breed pups and sometimes have higher Ca levels since its less of a concern. i suspect the adult formula will be fine for large breed pups.

i agree the chicken soup is better looking than the others you've been looking at. Canidae, at about 160 more calories per cup than the chicken soup, may well be more econimical even if the bags cost more (you will feed less of it).

also, has he been to the vet to get checked out (maybe a stoool sample would be in order)?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I would agree and give it a little more time. Sometimes when you go from a really crappy food, to one that is of better quality, their system just needs more time to adjust.
As far as Calcium levels, don't forget to check both the Calcium and Phosphorous levels. It's now believed that it's both of these factors that need to be kept in check with a puppy, to prevent too fast of growth.
I'm not familiar with that brand; but double check, and maybe rather than the puppy food, you could go straight to adult.

·
Registered
329 Posts
First of all....the rating system on Dog Food Analysis is the most bogus rating form I've ever seen. Orijen and Evo have no equals...so lets give them 7 stars then. And how...HOW...is Taste of The Wild a 6 and Acana Grain Free is not? And seriously...Artemis...a 6? Enough of DFA before I blow my top....lol.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Chicken Soup is about a $1 a pound. Definitely a good value food. I used to like Wellness Super5 Large Pup...but I just don't like the mystery ingredients in Wellness and I believe they have gotten so big (think Iams) that they will soon be on every commercial shelf (think Iams) selling their name and forgoing the quality (think Iams) that Wellness used to be. shame :(

I understand that Orijen Large Breed Puppy may not be in your budget, but in my opinion, this has to be the best All Life Stage food on the market today. Yes, even better than Orijen Adult.

Unsure of the price and trying to recommend in your budget, look at Innova Large Breed Puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts