Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could feeding a dog a meal that is too large cause them to vomit? I feed my Standard Poodle a chicken quarter per day along with some boneless meat and organs. I don't typically feed her this all at once because it seems like a lot for one meal. Today I fed her a chicken quarter then a few hours later I gave her a slice of beef heart, a small amount of beef liver and kidney (maybe enough to fit in a tablespoon) and some canned mackeral (I have not been able to find whole raw fish around here) Around three hours went by and she vomited up all of the second meal that I gave her. Is this simply because she had too much food or perhaps because I didn't space out the time between meals enough? The chicken quarter did not come up, just the second meal. This is the first time she has had any problems since being on raw and she has eaten all of these things in the past.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Could feeding a dog a meal that is too large cause them to vomit?
Yes, definately.

I feed my Standard Poodle a chicken quarter per day along with some boneless meat and organs. I don't typically feed her this all at once because it seems like a lot for one meal. Today I fed her a chicken quarter then a few hours later I gave her a slice of beef heart, a small amount of beef liver and kidney (maybe enough to fit in a tablespoon) and some canned mackeral (I have not been able to find whole raw fish around here)
This seems like an awful lot of food for your dog. You are also rushing the process. When you rush the process, you are asking for problems. It's too early for heart, liver, or kidney. Wait another few weeks.

Remember, feed your dog around 2% of its ideal adult weight.

Around three hours went by and she vomited up all of the second meal that I gave her. Is this simply because she had too much food or perhaps because I didn't space out the time between meals enough?
I would think that is a good guess but no way to know for sure. Could have been too much organ too early in the diet.

The chicken quarter did not come up, just the second meal. This is the first time she has had any problems since being on raw and she has eaten all of these things in the past.
Since this is the first sign of problem, it could be something entirely unrelated to diet. Maybe she ate something outside that didn't agree with her ... maybe a little grass... maybe something else. Could have been 1,000 different things. I wouldn't be concerned about one little vomit. That just happens from time to time for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much food would be appropriate to maintain a weight of 42lbs? That is where she looks ideal but I have always had a difficult time keeping weight on her.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
42 X 0.02% = 0.84

42 X 0.03% = 1.26

So, I would feed anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/4 pound of food per day. Adjust if necessary depending on body condition.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say that the amounts I give her are within those guidelines but RFD said it sounded like too much food lol. :confused:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Well, it is just a guideline and you should really go with what your dogs can handle. I would say that if you see issues with the amount you feed now, I would start cutting back just a bit to find the threshold of what your dogs can handle without issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts