Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a pet sitter/walker and one of my clients has 5 cocker spaniel rescues. 2 of them are seniors.....12yr and 13yr olds. They seem to have loose to mushy stools all the time. She has them on Blue Canyon regular adult food. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the proper protien amts and fat amts for older dogs. Not necessarily what the dog co. say or prepare in their food but what IS the suggested amt. I am trying to help her straighten her dogs out with their problems. I think the food she has them on may just be too rich for them....hence, all the stool...it passes right through them....Thanks...lauren

·
Registered
628 Posts
It really just depends on the dog, how much exercise they get, if they have a sensitive stomach, their size, if they're overweight, stressed, etc. Best way to find out would be to switch to a different food and see what happens. My girl who is 65 pounds eats around 980 calories per day on a food that has a guaranteed analysis of 21% protein 12% fat 4% fiber, but I also add fiber to her food.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows what is the proper protien amts and fat amts for older dogs. Not necessarily what the dog co. say or prepare in their food but what IS the suggested amt.
There is no suggested amount of protein. You are asking the wrong question anyway. You should be more interested in quality of protein than amount. Meat protein is far superior to plant protein. Unfortunately most protein in most kibbles is plant based.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts