Dog Food Chat banner

Feeding Raw Questions - Old dogs with issues

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LuvsDogs 
#1 ·
Okay, I've read all the previous posts on this topic and Rawfeddogs website. But I've still got a couple of questions about feeding raw. What do you do about older dogs who have health problems? Specifically I have an 11 year old Lhasa with very few teeth and horrible food allergies. She has only been able to eat venison commercial food all her life, and only certain brands of that, but could that be more related to the other things in the commercial food? What do you feed raw to dogs without many teeth and who spit up half the food you feed them and get severe diarhea on the other half? Plus she will break out in horrible red eyes and ears if she eats the wrong brand and her skin gets a severe rash. Will a raw diet help her out with these problems? I feel really bad for the little dog because one of the only foods she can keep down is Natures Recipe Venison and I REALLY hate feeding her that food. Should I try her on some raw beef or chicken and see how she does in case it was something else in the food all these years and do I grind it up for her so she can chew it? Has anyone successfully fed a raw diet to a dog with food allergies? Thanks for any information you experts can give me.

#2 ·
I've been feeding raw to my two allergy dogs, one of which is an older dog (10.5 years old) with health issues. The raw has done wonders for both of them, but especially the older dog. Her coat is getting much better, her stools are finally firm and regular, her ear problems are clearing up on their own, and her teether are even cleaner.

However, I feed them prey model raw, you on the other hand may benefit from feeding the commercial pre-made raw food so your dog can eat it easier (I doubt the lack of teeth would be conducive to gnawing through bones). That might be a good place to start until you can grind up your own bones and make your own food for your pup, which is nice because then you can customize it for what your dog needs.

However, if you think she has enough teeth to chew up something like a chicken drumstick or wing, maybe let her try it and monitor her to make sure she's ok with it. She should be.

#4 ·
What do you do about older dogs who have health problems? Specifically I have an 11 year old Lhasa with very few teeth and horrible food allergies.
Food allergies will probably go away if you are sure they are food allergies. If they don't completely go away in the beginning, it's pretty easy to isolate the particular meat they are allergic to.

I have known dogs with as few as 2 and 3 teeth eat raw bones with no problem. Is she has problems with bones, I suggest smashing them with a hammer. That is preferable to grinding.

She has only been able to eat venison commercial food all her life, and only certain brands of that, but could that be more related to the other things in the commercial food?
It would be very rare for a problem like that with raw meat, bones, and organs. I suspect it's not meat she is allergic to but other ingredients in commercial food.

What do you feed raw to dogs without many teeth and who spit up half the food you feed them and get severe diarhea on the other half?
Chicken wings, drumsticks, thighs, breasts along with other meats cut off the bone. Lets worry about the spit up and diarrhea if it happens. There are way to eliminate those if and when they take place.

Plus she will break out in horrible red eyes and ears if she eats the wrong brand and her skin gets a severe rash. Will a raw diet help her out with these problems?
Probably so. There are no brands in a good raw diet.

Should I try her on some raw beef or chicken and see how she does in case it was something else in the food all these years and do I grind it up for her so she can chew it?
Try her on chicke for a couple of weeks just like my web page advises. Then add new protein sources slowly. I wouldn't grind it up. I would give it to her and see what she does. She might just surprise you. If she has problems, smash it with a hammer.

Has anyone successfully fed a raw diet to a dog with food allergies? Thanks for any information you experts can give me.
Only a few thousand people. :smile: :smile:

#5 ·
I have four dogs, all on Primal commercially prepared rawfood. I have a friend that turned me on to it and I had my doubts and worries about raw food but not any more.

I have two dogs with Cushing's, one is 10 and the other 6. High protein, low fat diets are recommended for cushing's so the raw food diet was perfect. I have two other dogs, one 5 and the other 4. The 5 y.o. has always had horrible allergies and an incredibly sensitive stomach. After 10 month on Primal, all four of my dogs are doing remarkably well. My 10 year old never had a firm bowel movement until the raw food. He hasn't had diarrhea or soft stool in 10 months. My 5 year old is the one that blows me away. He's a Maltese and his face and feet were never white from allergies...always looked like he was wearing rust colored mask and boots. Today he is snow white on 100% of his body and no stomach problems...no more burping, no room clearing gas, no stomach grumblings and he plays again like he's a puppy. All four were on kibble before and most lost a great deal of their teeth, despite professional cleanings every 8 months. This is the best their teeth have looked 6 months post cleaning and they no longer have the rancid breath.

It appears that grains were my dogs' worst enemy and I never knew it until I went grainless. I wish I could go back and do it over again because I could have saved them a lot of pain and suffering....not to mention a lot of money for office calls and emergency clinics.

Lulusmom

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I too wish I could go back and undo years of feeding the wrong things to all my dogs but I'm starting my new 5 month old puppy out right and I'm trying to make my Lhasa's last years the best possible for her. She's only 11 and Lhasa's have a very long life span so she could easily make it to 18 or 19 if I feed her right and limit her exposure to chemicals (and puppy bouncing!). I'll try all your suggestions and see how it goes with her.

#7 ·
Good I'm glad you're giving it a go. My previous border collie became allergic to wheat products so she lived 1/3 of her life mainly on raw chicken bones & the occasional lamb bone.With a few left overs on the side. Her teeth improved, even though they were worn down & the vet said they were good for her age, while the previous year they said she'd need a dental.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.