Dog Food Chat banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Feeding raw foods such as meat, eggs, fish, fruit and vegetables can be tremendously beneficial to dogs and cats. Raw foods retain many health-enhancing benefits that cooked foods may lack. ThePetCenter encourages pet owners to look into the advantages and disadvantages of feeding raw foods.

Can I give my pup a raw bone eventhough I feed her Innova kibble?

Also...if i can, can there be raw meat on it? I've just read in multiple posts not to mix the two. Thanks!!!

Can I give my pup a raw bone eventhough I feed her Innova kibble?

Also...if i can, can there be raw meat on it? I've just read in multiple posts not to mix the two. Thanks!!!
A bare raw bone is not good for your dog. It should always have a good bit of meat on it. Depending on the size of your dog, a chicken drumstick would be good or if the dog is real small even a chicken wing.

I wouldn't regularly feed one of these items with a meal of kibble. But just to feed one occasionally as a treat, there should be no harm done.

Hehe, I just noticed the word "husky" in your nick. If your dog is a full grown husky, a drumstick would be too small. He could likely swallow it whole and that is not what you are after. Something larger like a chicke back or maybe a partial slab of beef ribs.

EDITED TO ADD: You could even feed something like a chicken leg quarter for a meal a few times during the week. There are just all kinds of options other than feeding raw meat/bone along with a kibble meal.

Thats good to know.

The reason I ask is, a friend of mine that feeds raw said it would be fine to give her the occasional raw meat/bone.

My friend gave my sibe a chicken back and my sibe threw it up within 10 minutes. She wouldnt go near it. Should I keep trying? I wasn't sure what to make of it...then I remembered when I read on multiple posts that its bad to feed a kibble dog raw. She just looooves bones, so I figured one every now and then wouldnt be bad...but wanted to see why she'd throw it up and if I did anything wrong.

She's 6 months now, so shes not completely full grown yet. She's at about 40lbs. My parents give her the occasional smoked bone from Chew-Gourmet.com | Smoked dog bones, Chew bones, Natural dog treats, All natural marrow treats, Healthy dog treats but i figured raw would be better...but i could be wrong.

Thats good to know.

The reason I ask is, a friend of mine that feeds raw said it would be fine to give her the occasional raw meat/bone.
Yes, but I wouldn't give it with a meal. Maybe as a snack between meals or as a meal itself.

My friend gave my sibe a chicken back and my sibe threw it up within 10 minutes. She wouldnt go near it. Should I keep trying?
Yes, I would try it again. Maybe a smaller back. Maybe a drumstick. Maybe exactly what you gave before. :)

I wasn't sure what to make of it...then I remembered when I read on multiple posts that its bad to feed a kibble dog raw.
Sometimes dogs just throw up. Maybe it was too close to the previous meal. Who knows why?

She's 6 months now, so shes not completely full grown yet. She's at about 40lbs. My parents give her the occasional smoked bone from
Smoked bone = cooked bone = dangerous bone

A bare raw beef bone can be almost as bad.

Why are bare raw bones dangerous? Is it all of them or just beef ones, or what?
Bare bones of anything are not good to feed. All are not dangerous, its just not good to feed them. That doesn't mean I don't occasionally give the reminants of the cats leftover bones to my dogs but that is just after the dogs have finished a meal.

ANY kind of weight bearing bones of large animals CAN be dangerous. They can chip, crack, break, cause slab fractures to your dogs teeth because of denseness. Chewing on these dense bones is akin to rubbing sandpaper over their teeth.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.