Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
05/17/10
I purchased my border collie for $800 last 2009 June. She was eating Science Diet which we all should know is CORN. So as I weened her from that and I wanted her to eat Taste of the Wild. From all I read this is a high protein no by-products dry food. She developed diarrhea. So I switched very slowly from homemade to half Wellness brand and half homemade. My homemade consists of lots of braised chicken with skin in olive oil, carrots, potato, something green like kale. romaine, ect the vegetables 50% to meat 50%. TONIGHT I just gave her 3/4 cup Taste of the Wild bison and Venison mixed with the homemade chicken and she VOMITED EVERYTHING SHE ATE. FIVE MINUTES AFTER SHE ATE IT. Now I waited 20 minutes and made pure home made chicken oatmeal carrot potassium chloride fish oil kale and she ate it and is now fine and sleeping by my feet as I vent on this computer

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hi, I moved your post into it's own thread because it will probably get lost in that big thread you had it in.

Now for your dog's digestive problems. IMO the diet you are feeding now will guarantee her to have digestive problems forever. You are mixing things up way too much. When a dog has digestive problems, the best course of action is to simplify the diet as much as possible.

Your dog is a carnivore and has no need for all those veggies you are giving her. You are confusing human nutrition with canine nutrition. Two different species, two different dietary requirements. Dogs need meat, bones, and organs from a variety of animals. Mostly meat, some bone, and some organs. When I first began feeding my dogs a raw diet, I would feed veggies one day a week. The next day the dogs always had diarrhea.

Anyway, simplify the diet and it will help calm things down. Pick out one thing to feed and feed that. You dog will eventually adjust to it. Of course I recommend feeding nothing but chicken until the dogs stomach settles down. For more information on raw feeding, ask about it in the raw section and you will get plenty of help. :smile:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
05/17/10
I purchased my border collie for $800 last 2009 June. She was eating Science Diet which we all should know is CORN. So as I weened her from that and I wanted her to eat Taste of the Wild. From all I read this is a high protein no by-products dry food. She developed diarrhea. So I switched very slowly from homemade to half Wellness brand and half homemade. My homemade consists of lots of braised chicken with skin in olive oil, carrots, potato, something green like kale. romaine, ect the vegetables 50% to meat 50%. TONIGHT I just gave her 3/4 cup Taste of the Wild bison and Venison mixed with the homemade chicken and she VOMITED EVERYTHING SHE ATE. FIVE MINUTES AFTER SHE ATE IT. Now I waited 20 minutes and made pure home made chicken oatmeal carrot potassium chloride fish oil kale and she ate it and is now fine and sleeping by my feet as I vent on this computer
it sounds as if you fed her too much.....which is why she vomited...dogs do that or they get diarrhea from eating too much too fast...

when that happens, fasting would be a good idea....

why do you give potassium chloride, just out of curiousity?

when my first attempt to go raw went south due to user error, my dogs were not doing well at all, so instead of going back to kibble topped with home cooked...

we started with a two ingredient meal, which was boiled chicken and rice, cooked in the chicken's water, so as to gain some nutrients.

slowly i added in broccoli, cauliflower, yellow and orange carrots, quinoa....bertes immune blend, which has digestive enzymes, probiotics and vitamins that i felt i probably missed.

the idea is to not complicate the diet but to hit what the dogs need, especially if you're going to home cook, rather than stay on kibble...

i would not recommend mixing kibble with anything other than appropriate canned dog food, simply because i don't think home cooked mixes all that well with kibble, considering the digestive differences.

i agree with RawFedDogs that you're overcomplicating their food.....keep it simple....

you can rotate veggies, if you're cooking their food...since that is what they use for fibre....although i do cuisinart the hell out of it...

you can braise, broil, boil their meats...add grains, which will also act as fibre...

just keep in mind that a home cooked diet, especially one with grains is carb heavy, so you want to give them a 75% meat and 25% grains, veggies...

i am a believer that carb heavy diets are responsible in part for the horrid dentition in dogs and in humans.....especially grains and pastas....but that's a discussion for another day.

meat and veggies and a little bit of grains won't hurt..and, of course, i wouldn't be me if i didn't recommend raw.....

having fed dogs all different ways...i've never seen teeth so white in only five or six weeks.....and coats that are brilliantly shiny and a whole different energy than i do now....i can't wait to see what these guys look like and feel like when they are getting all of the proteins i have to offer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts