Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many times per day you feed your dog. I was feeding mine once a day for the past year and a half but now just started to feed twice daily at noon and 8pm.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
My dogs eat once a day around noon. Sometimes I feed them a raw egg or something later in the evening or if there's any left over meat scraps from dinner.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I feed my dogs twice daily. One early morning 5-6 a.m. and the next one around 4 p.m. Since my small dog sometimes throws up first thing in the morning, I try to pay particular attention to her at her night feeding to make sure she eats.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just once a day at dinner time but if we have a long day (she goes to work with me) or if we go to the dog beach or what not, i give her a lunch snack.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just once a day at dinner time but if we have a long day (she goes to work with me) or if we go to the dog beach or what not, i give her a lunch snack.
that is so cool that you get to bring your dog to work!! i would love to find a job that lets me bring my boy with me to work!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dream is to be able to bring my dog to work. How awesome that must be!!

I just went back to once a day as she didn't seem to ever be hungry and would always take coaxing for her to eat. A few days back at once a day and she's eager and eats right away without eating too fast. Trial and error I guess.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Twice a day here too - morning and night...later on the weekends than during the week.

That would be awesome to take my dog(s) to work. Too bad I work on the 4the floor, potty breaks would be lengthy....and the only grass close by is right where the idiots getting released from jail walk out.....going to avoid that area!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yea my little monster goes everywhere with me. I definitely am lucky to be able to bring her with me. She runs around and plays with all my employees so it works out.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I read somewhere that small dogs need to eat more frequently than large dogs. Has anyone else heard that? I can't remember why though. Maybe because they don't eat as much and get hungry quicker?!?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I read somewhere that small dogs need to eat more frequently than large dogs. Has anyone else heard that? I can't remember why though. Maybe because they don't eat as much and get hungry quicker?!?
My vet has always recommended to me that any dog under 10 pounds be fed at least three times a day. I know a lot of small dogs can have problems with blood sugar levels so I think that might be one reason. I think you are also right about the smaller portions at one sitting, my 2 pound girl, her tummy can only hold so much food. She'll only eat so much per meal and I have to make sure she gets a certain amount of food daily so three meals helps to make sure that happens :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I feed my dogs twice a day. When I get up in the AM around 8-9am and then again around 5-6. No later than 6pm because if I do, they'll poo in the house even though I'm up to let them out until Midnight. I tried feeding once a day at noontime but both China and Duckie would start vomiting foamy bile in the early morning. Showing their stomachs were too empty and needed something to eat. So we're back to our normal routine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also feed twice a day........around 6:30am/6:30pm........&, like many other humommies posting here, snack at bedtime. My dog also has a little barf-fest in the morning if I forget that snack.

So I'm not sure if you call that three times a day or two times plus bedtime snack!:eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Twice a day here. The a.m. feeding at around 9:00 and the p.m. feeding anywhere from 4:00-6:00. They get a chewie or a few treats in between or after the p.m. feeding, too.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
my pups eat twice a day in the morning and the evening! I learned to do this from great advice. Years back I use to have this huge feeding gee like a trough haha but a big feeding container and let them eat whenever they wanted. Well not knowing this was a bad thing now I feed them twice a day and my one is on a diet and has lost over 13 lbs. so far! Bad me with the free falling food, but this I did not know was bad~ now I know that they are very content with feedings twice a day!

·
Registered
523 Posts
my pups eat twice a day in the morning and the evening! I learned to do this from great advice. Years back I use to have this huge feeding gee like a trough haha but a big feeding container and let them eat whenever they wanted. Well not knowing this was a bad thing now I feed them twice a day and my one is on a diet and has lost over 13 lbs. so far! Bad me with the free falling food, but this I did not know was bad~ now I know that they are very content with feedings twice a day!
I don't think free feeding is entirely a bad thing. It depends on the dog(s). I had a maltese and a labrador. My maltese, because of her size, needed to free feed, but my lab didn't because she gained weight from it. So, of course, I limited the lab and free fed the maltese and made sure the lab didn't get into her food. But I gotta tell you it's easier to not free feed when one dog loves to "pig out." :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I don't think free feeding is entirely a bad thing. It depends on the dog(s). I had a maltese and a labrador. My maltese, because of her size, needed to free feed, but my lab didn't because she gained weight from it. So, of course, I limited the lab and free fed the maltese and made sure the lab didn't get into her food. But I gotta tell you it's easier to not free feed when one dog loves to "pig out." :biggrin:
Maltese are so darn cute! Both my labs are notorious and I mean notorious eaters UGH! But my one is solid and the other has now lost over 13 lbs which with bad hips and a bad knee (arthritic) she really needed this but shes only turning 4 ugh!. She went from 88 to 75 lbs. Yesterday I had all the dogs eating and I went to do my laundry and was in the basment while they were finishing up well I came up and two of the dogs as pretty much usually walked away from the bowl so fine I did whatever else I was doing walked back in there (now I was not thinking becasue I know that I have to sit with them to make sure they eat their own) and yep the one whos losing weight was eating out of the other's bowls. Ha she was hungry ~ As my hubby tells me. I was like Roxi what are you doing haha! But then again my fault should have stayed with her haha! But for my labs it was not good that I was free feeding! Roxi would just eat and eat and eat! UGH! Bad Mommy here haha! But they have learned that they eat two times and that is that! I am now again as I usually do watching them haha! Gee and it was that onetime ha sneaky pup! But never again free feeding haha! I just bought Merrick the before grain buffalo lower fat content 15% so I am going to see how she does on this! She was on california natural which she is getting tired of bag # 3 so had to switch for now! I agree though some dogs you can let them free feed they know their limits~~ labs no way do they know what the right amount is haha!:smile:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts