Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding Annie three meals a day up until this week, and she's done WONDERFULLY. She's going on 7 months old in less than two weeks, so I bumped her to two meals a day (that's what I feed the others) and now she's vomiting after every meal. Granted, she re eats it every time and seems to do okay after, but without fail, every meal this week has come back up. She's had some softer stools, but nothing that raises much concern to me, not even as soft as :soft serve" poo.

Do I bump her back down to three meals a day, or just let her vomit every meal and maybe she'll adjust? it's been about a week.

things that may or may not matter:
I feed two meals, one lighter meal of chicken, and a heavier meal of something else, it's different every day.
She vomits even after the lighter meals, which are still heavier than her 3x a day meals.
Annie has ALWAYS walked the line of lean, and too thin. (when I feed more, it backfired and gave her diarrhea, so I stuck with the proper amount for her weight, and she has very slowly been gaining.) She is FINALLY not all hips and spine as of last week.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Maybe for a few days cut it down to her regular amount per meal, I mean how much she was getting each meal when you were feeding her three times a day. Even if its less than what she should be getting per day, only a few days wont make a huge difference. Or even cut it back to less than what she is used to getting for a few days, and slowly adding in more until she adjusts.

I would think that she would get over the regurgitation things after some time on her own, it would just take time and patience. And considering she eats it again anyways I don't think you should worry too much. Just like a dog being switched from kibble to raw, the adjustment period takes time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just curious...the vomit, does it contain just the food she previously ate or does it have some other contents? IE: bile or mucus

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious...the vomit, does it contain just the food she previously ate or does it have some other contents? IE: bile or mucus
Mostly it's just food, but with some white slobbery slime. No bile, and n contents from previous meals.

I think we'll jsut let her wait it out if the frequent vomiting isn't going to do any damage. She doesn't act bothered or sick, just pukes, eats it, and is on her way. I think I'll just give her some more time adjust to the bigger meals, and if she's still doing it an another week i'll adjust.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Vomiting is not the same as regurgitation. In the case of Annie...its regurgitation because she is bringing up food that she has just eaten and then re-eating it. That means that there is just some kind of physical issue that is causing her to do so...either just too much food, the fact that she is only eating twice a day, etc. Vomiting on the other hand is something that happens because either the dog is not feeling well for some reason, or there was something wrong with the food...ie gone bad, inappropriate, etc.

Regurgitation is almost all the time harmless, unlike vomiting...usually indicates some kind of illness or disease.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I knew that... and misused the word. When I see already-eaten food come back up, first words that come to mind are vomit and puke. lol. I'll be more correct in my vocab from now on. lol.

I'll let her do her thing for now, since it doens't seem to bother her. :rolleyes:

ETA: yayyy tile floors!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yes...yay for hardwood floors LOL

Our girls will occasionally regurgitate depending on how much or how fast they eat. I don't tend to worry about it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Brady pretty much regurgitates every time while eating....his eyes are bigger than his throat. :rolleyes: He'll be eating and crunch the bones a few times, but not enough to tear a chunk off. Then he'll slide it down his gullet a little and chomp some more until he practically has a line of chicken from his mouth to his stomach. lol At this point he can't swallow anymore so he regurgitates what he's already swallowed and goes at it from another angle...normally succeeding the second time.

Is there anyway to teach him to eat better or should I not worry? :confused:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You could try holding onto the piece of meat while he chews on it until you can't hold it anymore. I do that with our girls sometimes just so they chew more for the dental benefit of it.

I would say that you shouldn't worry too much because he would chew it more if it really was a serious issue. The fact that he still doesn't chew it better the first time tells me that te way he does it now works...so why change?! LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
You could try holding onto the piece of meat while he chews on it until you can't hold it anymore. I do that with our girls sometimes just so they chew more for the dental benefit of it.

I would say that you shouldn't worry too much because he would chew it more if it really was a serious issue. The fact that he still doesn't chew it better the first time tells me that te way he does it now works...so why change?! LOL
Gee...why didn't I think of that? Holding it....so obvious!!! lol Thanks :biggrin:

It does work just fine for him...he's never been sick afterwards or anything, it's just kinda gross, and it amazes me that he can digest the chunks of bone he swallows. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts