Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arg - so this article was in our local paper recently and now my parents and hubby are both questioning feeding the dogs bones. This vet doesn't mention raw versus cooked and I tried to explain the many differing opinions on this - one vet says yes, another says no. Any good articles you can point to that show a known / reputable vet who agrees with raw? Above and beyond some of the more popular books?

FDA Article:
No Bones About It: Bones are Unsafe for Your Dog

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
the article doesn't mention raw vs cooked either, leaving the reader blind to reality.

then again, those who are against bones will remain that way and those of us who are enlightened will continue to do what we believe is best.

the FDA is the same organisation that made fen fen legal and put ephedra back on the market....so i'd say their credibility is in question....

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I haven't had time to read the article and won't until tomorrow sometime. However I know that dogs/wolves have been eating bones for millions of years. It's where they get calcium from. If they don't eat bones they don't have calcium in their diet. It is a requirement that dogs/wolves in the wild eat raw bones. Our dogs can eat bones also. THere are 100,000's of domestic dogs that eat bones every day without problems. Cooked bones cause problems. Cut bones like T-bones and pork chop bones cause problems. Regular natural bones as they come out of the animal don't cause problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts