Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm thinking of Jellybean who is sooo picky - what's your dog's favorite foods. I'm thinking if all of your dogs has a favorite raw food - then when we get to that part - it would really help me figure out if she's picky or has sore/ineffective teeth.

Carol

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Jellybean is picky because she is picky. Just take a peek at her teeth and you will know without a doubt if its really her teeth at all. Just don't let her be picky and be the pack leader when it comes to everything, but especially meal time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How will I know if it's her teeth? How bad would they have to be for her not to be able to munch and crunch the bones?

Yes, she definitely knows I'm the boss (that's even my name - my husband will say, "Go find boss!" )! I am not allowing her to be picky, but I still doubt what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Carol

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've got a picky eater too, she's always been that way. Never been food motivated either, which made training lots of fun :wink:

From all the raw I fed her, the $15/lb King Salmon from Whole Foods was her favorite by far. It had been in my freezer for over 6 months so I wasn't going to eat it (I recently cleaned out my freezer so she got to eat what I pulled out), so she got lucky. I doubt she'll ever have such expensive salmon again, but I'll definitely try to get her more affordable salmon. It's pretty soft too, so maybe that would make it easier if there were teeth problems as well. Her second favorite has been ham shank, but that's not raw. I've picked it up a couple times to give her for lunch, and she'll get actual raw for breakfast and dinner (her lunch is usually a smaller meal than the other 2).

I don't know how this fits into the PMR diet, but what if you try starting with meat that doesn't have bone? Then once she eats it and realizes she likes it you can add the bone back in? I usually cut Tiki's food into cubes. I'm sure I don't have to and she'd be able to tear it up herself, but I'd rather spend the time cutting it and be able to feed her in her dish. We haven't been doing much bone so far, so I'm having to find ways to replace what she needs from the bone.

Maybe it's the texture that she isn't sure of? I'm far from an expert, just tossing out ideas

·
Registered
820 Posts
Favourite food for mine is something different!!
If she has had chicken all week then she will go mad for beef, or port, if pork (even all day) she will go mad for chicken.

and every so often she will quite happily go back to eating the biscuits and old chewie things I bought before going raw.

but the one food that stands out above all others is the skin from a freshly cooked gammon shank. (it is what I use to train her to leave her food) :)

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
malia eats whatever i put in front of her. she has no favourite. she's not really food driven....it's almost as if she eats because i want her to, not because she's all that into it. her teeth are good, although she is missing one of the ones jon posted....a big one...she chews fine on the other side and we just had their teeth looked at a few weeks ago.

and that goes for home cooked, kibble....almost an obligatory eating..

she's not a picky eater....we won't allow that. BUT she is the total opposite of bubba.....as EVERY food is his favourite LOL

you've heard me talk about this boy who sobs and dances when it's time to eat. he even sobs over liver.

but malia is the dutiful daughter.

i do know that when we started raw with chicken backs and she licked and walked away and came back and licked, etc.....that, when she finally did eat, she ate because she was hungry.....

also when i intro'd a food, they would get thumbnail sized pieces and then i would start them....i never let them get picky...if she wants to be the dutiful, i'll eat it 'cause i'm hungry, i'm okay with that....on the other hand, now, she never turns down food, no matter what it is.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Chicken backs are a pain, my dogs wouldn't eat them but I know its the right thing to transition to. Thankfully I could transition with other bone in chicken pieces. I think for my dogs they were just too boney.

With that all said and done, I have one who is a real picky eater but she will be going to another home for a trial period after labor day, so we've been doing the Acana dogfood with her again, I have a garbage gut who will absolutely eat anything and my boy who licks and smells and walks around before eating. Their absolute favorite meals are TRIPE, canned FISH, and LAMB. Carol, it will get easier just don't give in, Good Luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well Iz rekon my dawgs loves dat yard bird more den anythang. Old Mutt, he a fast ater and cin down a chekin real fast. tater is a scrapper, hezagonna throwd his chekin up in da air and shake it real hard bee for heza aten it. And old Lucy, sheza gonna hunker down on da porch and crunch her bonezand enjoy evary second of it.

Yep day like dat checkin da best. I gotta watch out cuz dem dawgs will head off to Precher Ray's for some fresh yard bird ifn I anit careful ... And den his wif will comma callin and tell maw and paw. And dat aint no good fer noone.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These were all funny to read and very reassuring. Like I said in another post - Jelly had another chicken quarter - she was sooo hungry after all the extra exercise she got.

Thanks Whiteleo for the encouragement!! I need it. And no, I won't give up.

Salmon - wow that's pretty expensive - what a lucky dog!!! Special treat!!

Thanks everyone!

Carol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts