Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, my name is Roman and I have a 4 1/2 month old basset hound named Roscoe. He has a tendency to wolf down his food and then throw it up and eat it again. It is still in kibble form when he vomits it back up. I had him on TOTW Bison formula but it gave him diarhea and his breath smelled just like his poop. I currently have him on Pure Vita Chicken and Brown Rice. He is doing really well on it but the kibble is so small that he will go through 1 1/2 cups in under a minute. He did the same on TOTW. I feed him1 1/2 cups twice a day. I need some suggestions on a larger kibble so that he has to chew it to swallow it. i went to Petsmart and bought this ceramic ball about the size of a softball to place in his bowl to slow him down some. It worked at first but now he just knocks it out of his bowl. Im about to get one of those food bowls that are molded with mounds in the center of it so they have to eat around it. Any suggestions on a good large kibble food thats about the same price of what I pay now? I pay right at $40 for a 16.5 lb bag. Thanks for the help.

Heres some pics of him...

These are when I first got him on 8/18/09

These are more recent...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
So, your pup seems to be eating too fast. I don't know if you right away need to change foods, but you could try some things that may help to slow the pup down in his eating habits.
You could try which may be a pain but feeding him slowly from your hand a little at a time then he would digest the food better. Your feeding 3 cups a day you can make these into smaller meals then twice a day even putting some of the kibbles in a Kong toy with some yogurt (plain fat free) for probiotics and you could freeze it and this way with the yogurt and kibbles it will take a little while for him to get through it and also a chew toy for him, or even peanut butter and kibbles is nice you can freeze or you can do it without freezing with kibbles. Just a suggestion to slow the food down process down. I see you have used the bloatbowl. Also another thing is like put a tennis ball inside a food bowl. You should though feed like I sad several times a day versus twice. He may think that this is all I get and I have to down this really fast so I make sure I get it all. Like I said offering the same amount of food in smaller portions more times a day may also help. How about adding a bit of water to the food also this will give the pup a more full feeling. Have you taken him to the vet lately to make sure no problems other than a fast eater?
Hope things get better for you and the pup!:smile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have time to feed several times a day. I wake up at 4:45am to go to work and get home at 3pm. Im in bed by 7pm. I've brought him to the vet three times for his shots and a skin condition he has. He got bit by some fleas and hes been chewing on himself where the bites are and he lost some patches of hair. Other than that, he is healthy as a horse.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Larger kibbles that I know of are Solid Gold Wolf Cub, Blue Buffalo, I think Orijen is decently sized, and Innova Evo large bites (but that one can be very rich and cause digestive upset if not switched very slowly and fed in smaller portions, so he'd probably only need 2 cups of it per day as opposed to the 3 he's getting now). Most of those should be about the same price if not cheaper than what you're paying now. That seems like a pretty pricey bag of food you're paying for now. I know most high quality kibbles run around $50 for 30 lbs of food.

The modified bowl should definitely help him slow down. However, I would also recommend a Buster Cube BusterCube Treat Dispensing Dog Toy - Toys - Dog - PetSmart

I hear those work wonders because the dogs have to figure out how to knock it around in different ways to get the kibble out only a few at a time. So it exercises him and his mind while he's also being fed slowly, so it's like a three in one benefit to you.

PS - your pup is adorable

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. Keep them coming. Im gonna check out that buster cube. Hes a pretty smart dog so it should work out well. Hes a STRONG chewer so with it being so big he shouldnt be able to pick it up with his mouth and destroy it. I think EVO would be too much for him. He had diarhea with the TOTW Bison and EVO is richer than that. Hes not extremely active so I dont think he needs the EVO. I was looking at the regular Innova large bites but my pet store doesnt have any samples and I dont want to buy a bag of it and him not eat it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Amaze-a-Ball Basically the same as what rannmiller suggested.
I HAD to buy one of these for my Owen to 'teach' him how to slow down with his eating. He would scarff his food so fast that I would find it later and it wasn't even chewed. I went thru a bunch of stuff and this worked best for me. I would fill up the toy (there are a few varieties) and put it on the floor and he would chase it and play and eat all at the same time. It became a game and would wear out some puppy energy while feeding him and making him think about how the food comes out!
I would also put it in his crate when I was running late and didn't have time to wait for him to finish before heading for work.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm gonna jump in here and repeat what I"ve said several times before ... Dogs don't chew their food in the way humans do and in the way being discussed here. Humans, being omnivores, chew their food into a mush before swallowing. Their salava contains digestive enzymes and digestion for humans begins in the mouth during the chewing process. Dogs on the other hand, being carnivores, only crunch their food until it is small enough to fit down their throat. Dogs can swallow some amazingly large pieces with no problem. Digestion for dogs begins in the stomach. My dogs regularly swallow chicken leg quarters after crunching only a few times.

Kibble is something that a dog has no need to chew. They don't chew kibble. What sometimes happens when dogs eat kibble too fast is that the kibble reaches the stomach before the stomach has had time to prepare for it. By preparing, I mean to secret digestive juices. So the kibble reaches a "dry" stomach and the stomach, unprepared to handle it, sends it back where it came from.

In the real world, sometimes called "the wild", preditors (dogs in this case) are programmed to eat as fast as possible in order that the prey animal gets eaten before a larger preditor comes along and takes it away from him. This works fine when feeding large food. Raw feeders who have dogs who gulp their food, simply feed larger pieces to automatically cause more chewing. You can't hardly do that with kibble so you have to devise some method of slowing them down when they have the problem of the dog in this thread.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yes, RFD, and that is why we're suggesting that he use one of these methods to slow down his dog's eating so his stomach has time to secrete the digestive juices needed to not cause the dog to vomit. Chances are, even with the larger kibble, he'll just slurp it down like a wet noodle, but at least he won't be slurping down the whole portion at once which should hopefully stop the vomiting.

(I know raw is the best, but unfortunately we're in the kibble section and the kibblers get mad at us for bringing raw up here, so I'm just trying to avoid it for now)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Kibble is something that a dog has no need to chew.
I'm going to have to agree here. With the exception of my Corgi, who actually chews his California Natural kibble, I have never had a dog who really chews kibble. "Bigger" kibble sizes won't do much because I have yet to see a kibble that is too big to fit down the throat whole.

I know that him vomiting his food and eating it again is repulsive to you, but keep in mind- he is a dog. It's entirely fine for him. :rolleyes: (trust me, my Grissom eats FAR more "yuckky" stuff than secondhand kibble! haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts