Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six months ago I switched my dogs to evo red and they had trouble at first but after they got used to it they did great. One week ago I switched over to the chicken and turkey evo because it is $12 less than the red meat and I am already seeing a difference. They look better they are more energetic and their coats are incredibly shiny. I am amazed and now am kind of mad i was paying so much more for the red meat when the regular chicken and turkey is way better. Dont get me wrong the red meat is pretty good too but I cant believe that it made as much of a difference as it did switching in the same brand. Has anyone else done this before or is it just my dogs?

·
Registered
333 Posts
i used to have my dog on EVO and i alternated between the different meats, she did great on all of them. either way, im glad you're saving money AND your dogs are happier haha. win win situation!!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I only got one little bag of the Evo red and my dogs weren't that thrilled with it. I decided it didn't have as much meat as the regular chicken and wasn't worth the price difference so I never bought it again. It seemed to me that it had more potatoes in it then the chicken did but there was no way to really prove it based on the ingredient list.

For the price difference I just buy canned grain free food of different brands and give my dogs a meat variety by giving them a small plate of canned in the morning and then they get their chicken EVO kibble the rest of the day. Usually I give them beef, pork, or lamb canned grain free. Sometimes I'll branch out into a bizarre thing like rabbit or venison or bison or elk if there is a real good deal on it just to add a new protein to their rotation. (someone even sells Kangaroo!) But I stick with the EVO chicken kibble because they do the best on that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Six months ago I switched my dogs to evo red and they had trouble at first but after they got used to it they did great. One week ago I switched over to the chicken and turkey evo because it is $12 less than the red meat and I am already seeing a difference. They look better they are more energetic and their coats are incredibly shiny. I am amazed and now am kind of mad i was paying so much more for the red meat when the regular chicken and turkey is way better. Dont get me wrong the red meat is pretty good too but I cant believe that it made as much of a difference as it did switching in the same brand. Has anyone else done this before or is it just my dogs?
Honestly, they are both equally excellent feeds. whichever your dog tolerates. I'm currently sticking to the poultry but may ask for a few samples of the red meat.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just bought a bag of Evo Red (6lb) to try out. I definitely like the Evo Red forumla better than Orijen Regional Red. We'll see how the dogs like it. It definitely has a lot of calories per cup.

I currently rotate between Orijen Large Breed Puppy (I like this formula better than Orijen Adult), Orijen 6 Fish, and Acana Grasslands.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I just bought a bag of Evo Red (6lb) to try out. I definitely like the Evo Red forumla better than Orijen Regional Red. We'll see how the dogs like it. It definitely has a lot of calories per cup.

I currently rotate between Orijen Large Breed Puppy (I like this formula better than Orijen Adult), Orijen 6 Fish, and Acana Grasslands.

Rocky really liked the Orijen Large Breed Puppy (he was raised on it) but when I switched him over to Orijen Adult, he refused to eat it. He actually lost weight from picking at his food and leaving it in the bowl. I switched him to Evo and during the switch he would pick out the pieces of Adult Orijen and just eat the EVO. I have no idea why he loved the Orijen Large Breed Puppy but refused the Orijen Adult. Maybe it was just a bad bag or maybe they really do have a different flavor and composition. I hate to buy another bag and have him reject it again. Maybe I should just get the large breed puppy for him again and rotate him on that with the EVO. I haven't tried the 6 fish version.

·
Registered
329 Posts
To Richelle:

I don't like the inclusion of Pork in Regional Red......but then again, I don't like the inclusion of tomatoes in Evo Red. I guess I don't like Pork more than I don't like tomatoes :wink:

To Chowder:

Both my dogs looooove 6 fish, but only the one can actually keep it down.
I agree with you on the adult formula of Orijen. There is just something a little better about the large breed puppy formula over their adult formula.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
afte rmy dog has been on canidae grain free for a few more bags i plan on switching to evo. i have looked at all of the formulas, and the red meat has the elast meats, and to my knowledge is equal in price to the turkey and chicken so that is out. then there is the herring. the herring is a lot more expensive and iam not sure if my store carries it. i also have never had my dog on a fish food. i thinik i will try the turkey/chicken and maybe rotate around to the herring, but im nit gonna try the red.ed meat is moew wxpwnsive ithink, so they can use less meat in order to provide an equally priced product.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been feeding the Evo Red Meat formula for a solid month. Before that I tried the Turkey and Chicken. My dog had some loose stool and gas on the poultry formula and I thought it wasn't working for her. I gave it to someone who I know feeds that version and bought the red meat instead.
She has had absolutely perfect digestion since day one of the red meat Evo! Never had any gas or loose stool, she has gained a bit of weight, so I cut her portions back a bit and now all is well.
I think I will get one more large bag (well if you can consider 28 lbs. a large bag, lol) of the Red Meat and then try the Chicken Evo again after that.
I'm particularly surprised that she is doing so well on the Evo, considering I couldn't ever get a settled stomach on either the Innova large breed or the Innova red meat. With the Innova large breed she would vomit frequently and had gas and loose stool. The Innova red meat just gave her really runny stool, but otherwise it was ok.
I love the Natura Co. and I knew I'd find the right formula for my dog eventually, :cool:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
i really think im gonna try the herring.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Evo Red has had it's formula changed, potatoes and sunflower oil are the third and fourth ingredients, when before it was meat. Terrible, and on top of that it's more expensive than turkey and chicken, when T&C has a better ingredient list.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
do you guys feel the herring is so much better it justifies the price? or is turkey and chicken good enough?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You know, it really depends on what your dog does best on!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I am currently feeding EVO red meat, chicken, weight management, and the dogs are doing very well on it. My dogs do though like the chicken best! Its what works best for your dogs. Some dogs get gassy on certain foods some get wetter stools its all about playing aournd with foods and seeing what works best for your dog!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
do you guys feel the herring is so much better it justifies the price? or is turkey and chicken good enough?
It really does depend on your dog. Chelsy is allergic to Salmon so I tend to avoid any food that has fish as it's base, just in case it is too much fish for her. She can handle herring if it is one of the minor ingredients but I wouldn't push it with her since she does have a salmon allergy. I don't really think fish is any better for dogs then any other meat. I personally prefer to feed them chicken, pork, turkey, or lamb, with occasional beef and some exotic animals thrown in for a protein variety.

Someone else here said they avoided food with pork in it but my dogs LOVE it when I give them food that is pork based. I'm not sure why so few foods are pork based but it is a white meat and seems to do really well in their stomachs. Sort of like chicken I guess. I have a case now that I got on sale and they are just crazy about it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Pork is actually a red meat. The darn advertising execs would have us believing otherwise, though! :tongue:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
It really does depend on your dog. Chelsy is allergic to Salmon so I tend to avoid any food that has fish as it's base, just in case it is too much fish for her. She can handle herring if it is one of the minor ingredients but I wouldn't push it with her since she does have a salmon allergy. I don't really think fish is any better for dogs then any other meat. I personally prefer to feed them chicken, pork, turkey, or lamb, with occasional beef and some exotic animals thrown in for a protein variety.

Someone else here said they avoided food with pork in it but my dogs LOVE it when I give them food that is pork based. I'm not sure why so few foods are pork based but it is a white meat and seems to do really well in their stomachs. Sort of like chicken I guess. I have a case now that I got on sale and they are just crazy about it.
yeah im so confused on what to do, i dont plan on switching to evo for around 6 months, cause istil want to go through a long rotation on candiae grain free but canidae is mainly chicken and turkey based, so i think the evo herring would be a good switch since i dont really like the red eat evos ingredients.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Evo Red has had it's formula changed, potatoes and sunflower oil are the third and fourth ingredients, when before it was meat. Terrible, and on top of that it's more expensive than turkey and chicken, when T&C has a better ingredient list.

But at 527 K/cals per cup, how can you say that they haven't added more beef and lamb meal? Does it make you feel better seeing more meat ingredients or seeing high protein and fat percentage content totaling 527 K/cals per cup?

Unfortunately, the pet food industry does not have to disclose how much of one ingredient is in the food. But if you know how to read the whole breakdown, it gives you a pretty good indication of how much meat is really in the food. This is why I'm not a follower of TOTW. It cost $40 a bag, has a lower protein count, does not give a full nutrient analysis and only produces about 340 k/cals per cup. Based on these criteria, something is missing that isn't missing in Evo or Orijen

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
higher calories doesnt always mean higher meat content though. canidae ALS has higher calories than canidae grain free and there is no way it has higher meats.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts