Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, I switched both of my dogs (chihuahua mix (age 14) and dachshund mix (age 2)) to EVO Red Meat. I recently bought a new bag and ever since then both of them have been vomiting quite a bit. I thought that the dogs may be eating pecans that are still in the yard from last fall which caused them to vomit, but every time they go out to do their duty I have watched them closely to make sure they do not eat anything outside .... and they are still vomiting.

I know EVO Red Meat is quite rich, but they have not had this problem before. Has anyone else been experiencing this with their dogs? What is a good blander food (especially for my older chihuahua)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
How is their poo? Where are you from and how has the weather been lately? Just some basic questions to get more of an idea to see if it could be from an extreme weather change or if there is something else going on in there system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their poo seems to be fine. We're in Austin, Texas and the weather has been in the 70's and picture perfect. Quite a bit of tree pollen in the air, but my dogs are not scratching like they were on other dog foods. I like EVO, and I want to buy my dogs whatever dog food is best, but I need to figure out waht has changed that has caused them to vomit. And, the only thing that has changed is a new bag of food .. and after they eat, they vomit.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I can't seem to find any results for problems with the food, How long has it been since you have had a fecal exam on your dogs? Have you increased their amount of kibble at all or anything that has changed at all besides the new bag of food. You could always take back the bag and tell the store exactly what is happening but I do suggest a fecal exam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, will do. Thanks. I also think I'm going to mix in either some EVO Turkey and Chicken or Origen Adult into the food to reduce the richness of the EVO Red Meat and see if anything changes. Any other recommendations on food is always appreciated.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Thats a good idea, but you might want to do a couple days of boiled chicken and rice to settle their stomachs first and then start off with a slow switch to some added chicken/turkey in the evo red meat kibble

Reactions: LoveWarrior

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
evo red meat recently changed their ingridents. it has potatoes as the third ingridient.
id say theymight have an allergy to potatoes,but yo usaid they did fine on the food before? allergies are developed though, so they may have developed it from eating the food for long periods of time also!

id sy give the herring evo a shot, its a lot mroe pricey but yo usaid you wanna fveeed them the ebst, and that looks the ebst.

red meat ingridents-
Beef, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Egg, Sunflower Oil, Buffalo, Lamb, Venison, Beef Cartilage, Herring Oil, Natural Flavors, Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Alfalfa Sprouts, Garlic, Cottage Cheese, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins/Minerals, Ascorbic Acid, Dried Chicory Root, Direct-Fed Microbials, Vitamin E Supplement, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract.

evo herring-
Herring, salmon meal, herring meal, peas, salmon, eggs, herring oil, pea fiber, sunflower oil, natural flavor, apples, carrots, cottage cheese, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, Minerals (Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, calcium iodate), Vitamins (Vitamin E supplement, betaine hydrochloride, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement, beta carotene, Vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, phylloquinone, folic acid), Direct-fed Microbials (Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Enterrococcus faecium fermentation product).

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have 4 bags of EVO right now. The red meat the small and large kibble chciken turkey and the weight management. My dogs have been eating this wow for the past I want to say 3 weeks but it could be longer I cant remmember but anyway I have not been experiencing any of the problems like you have said at all. They were a bit gassy (LOL) at first but that has subsided! I would take the food back maybe try wellness core. My dogs did great on wellness core! And with EVO its easy to overfeed them as well. I never feed the amount on the package always less. Orijens a great idea hopefully after the vet visit you will find just in case if its anything else! Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
what's the pull date on the bag?

when my dogs were on kibble, i accidentally bought yoghurt and the pull date was not current.

the same can happen with dog food, especially food that was fine and now isn't.

smell the bag and make sure it doesn't smell rancid...

i would recommend fasting the dogs for 24 hours to calm down their intestines and stomachs....and buy another bag....just to be sure.

maybe feed them some homemade chicken broth to keep them hydrated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I sent an email to EVO informing them of the situation and asking if they changed their formula. Following is their response (much of it seems to be canned and has nothing to do with the question I posed to them, which was simply asking if the formula had recenly been changed):

April 15, 2010

Brad Stevens
(email address redacted)

Dear Brad

Thank you for contacting Natura Pet Products. In October 2009, we removed beef cartilage and garlic from the EVO Red Meat dry dog food. No recent changes were made.

Since Natura is an “all natural” pet food manufacturer, there can be some variation in color and aroma of our products. Natura uses all natural ingredients such as fresh meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies, and without any artificial colors, or dyes.

Because of this, the color of the kibble is dependent on the color of the natural ingredients we use. We could use artificial colors and/or dyes to create a more consistent color, but Natura will only use ingredients that have a healthful benefit for your pet.

Aroma can be affected by a few things. Freshness might be an issue, so check the expiration date on the bag to rule this out. If the food seems very dry to the touch, it may not have as much of an aroma as it should, which would affect the palatability of the food.

These variations most of the time are not noticed as they are very minimal. However, from time to time they can be significant enough that we do. Typically these variations do not cause any issues but sometimes they can cause some digestive upset. We recommend taking the current bag of food you are feeding from back to the retail store and exchanging it for a bag with a different expiration date as this should clear up any of the issues your pet is experiencing.

Our foods are 100% guaranteed for satisfaction. If for any reason you need to return the product you may do so at retail store where it was purchased. There you may receive a store credit, an exchange or a refund.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Best regards,
Heather, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Natura Product Advisor
(email address redacted)
(phone number redacted)

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
well since its of no cost to you, id return the food and try a new red emat, or another type of evo. might as well try another for rotation. also the other carieties are much higher quality. the red meat is ok.

if your store has orijen regional red yo ushould give that a go. as long as youre not in austrailia =p.

·
Registered
517 Posts
well since its of no cost to you, id return the food and try a new red emat, or another type of evo. might as well try another for rotation. also the other carieties are much higher quality. the red meat is ok.

if your store has orijen regional red yo ushould give that a go. as long as youre not in austrailia =p.

The other varieties are not of "much" higher quality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used evo now for a year, since my last order of 8 bags my one dog started throwing up off and on about 4 times a week, took him off and put him on id from the vets throwing up stopped started slowly adding back the evo and throwing up started again..now second dog is throwing up...i have read over and over since protor and gamble took over people are having a lot of problems of their dogs throwing up..one so far is not throwing up...i will not feed one more drop of evo dog food of any kind! The scary part is p & g can change their food and not change the label for 6 months...my batch expries in june of 2011 so most likely was made in june of 2010 my shippment came in sept, my first dog started throwing up beginning of oct 2010..this dog has never throw up in his entire life..so it has to be the evo....now second dog is throwing up every few days!! Be warned there is something harmful in evo now that p & g has taken over...and do your own research!!! Many have reported their dogs throwing up on evo since p & g took over making it!!! I am beyond disgusted with p&g

·
Banned
539 Posts
I copied and pasted the ingredients from another post. But before I go any further, my dog ate C.N. his whole life with no issues and BANG p&g took over now my dog can not eat it. Hard core runny stools(IT WAS THE FOOD). Any way besides p&g being a BIG problem there are a couple of ingredients that CAN cause issue's in dogs and they are...Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Herring Oil, Garlic and Cottage Cheese, all of them CAN cause issues in dogs. Some dogs to include mine can not tolerate any kind of fish. But my money is on p&g being the problem. I have heard of at least 15 problem's with Innova and C.N. since they took over.

Beef, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Egg, Sunflower Oil, Buffalo, Lamb, Venison, Beef Cartilage, Herring Oil, Natural Flavors, Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Alfalfa Sprouts, Garlic, Cottage Cheese, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins/Minerals, Ascorbic Acid, Dried Chicory Root, Direct-Fed Microbials, Vitamin E Supplement, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract.

evo herring-
Herring, salmon meal, herring meal, peas, salmon, eggs, herring oil, pea fiber, sunflower oil, natural flavor, apples, carrots, cottage cheese, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, Minerals (Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, calcium iodate), Vitamins (Vitamin E supplement, betaine hydrochloride, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement, beta carotene, Vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, phylloquinone, folic acid), Direct-fed Microbials (Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Enterrococcus faecium fermentation product).

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
i have read over and over since protor and gamble took over people are having a lot of problems of their dogs throwing up
Where exactly did you read these 1st hand reports?

The scary part is p & g can change their food and not change the label for 6 months
Where does that information come from?

Be warned there is something harmful in evo now that p & g has taken over
Where do you get that information?

Many have reported their dogs throwing up on evo since p & g took over making it!!!
Dogs have thrown up for a million years. What kind of first hand information do you have that EVO is any different that it was a year or more ago? I have a friend who is still feeding it with no problem. He can notice no change in any way.

I am beyond disgusted with p&g
I am beyond discusted with people coming on boards to make wild outlandish claims that have no basis in fact whatsoever.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where exactly did you read these 1st hand reports?

Where does that information come from?

i can say that on the GSD board i belong to, there appeared to be a dramatic increase in cases of vomiting in newly bought EVO products a few months after the announced takeover. interestingly, id say a good majority of these folks were in the "im gonna stick with Natura" category after the announced takeover. of course, this is just anecdotal.

AAFCO require manufacturers to meet the ACTUAL ingredient lists ONLY ONCE every six months....i got this info from more than one manufacturer (champion and NV to name two of them) about a year ago. this may have changed recently. if it didnt, a pet food manufacturer could comply in early january, make ingredient changes after that, then not have to comply again until mid july.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I think its a good example of what hysteria can do. The internet has been full of whiners and cryers since the day the purchase was announced. I haven't seen reliable information that anything has changed with any of the products. No changes in ingredients, no changes in suppliers nor any changes in quality of ingredients. It's scary what hysteria can do.

Dogs vomit every day. Dogs have diarrhea every day. Food is never blamed unless there has been a change or a suspected change. At that point it is ALWAYS the fault of the food.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
with both kibble fed dogs and raw fed dogs....funny, (not ha ha funny)....that treats and table foods or some other 'extra' besides that actual kibble or raw food is held responsible for said diarrhea and/or vomiting....

maybe it's not the food at all...maybe a new treat was introduced..maybe the dog ate the head of the kong off....(that would be my pug).....on one occasion, i discovered he's feasting on his bed....

i think perhaps all of us get a little tunnel visioned....those who feed raw and are new at it...and those who change from one kibble to another and it's new to the dog....or it didn't happen before and it's happening now...

gotta look at the big picture...just sayin'

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think its a good example of what hysteria can do. The internet has been full of whiners and cryers since the day the purchase was announced. I haven't seen reliable information that anything has changed with any of the products. No changes in ingredients, no changes in suppliers nor any changes in quality of ingredients. It's scary what hysteria can do.

Dogs vomit every day. Dogs have diarrhea every day. Food is never blamed unless there has been a change or a suspected change. At that point it is ALWAYS the fault of the food.
the people im talking about have been faithful evo followers for a long time, and most are ones who poo poo'd all the hysteria about changes being made. they are all trying to be objective and look for other causes....it lends some credibility to the possibility to some changes having occured. the folks on this particular GSD board are pretty sharp and have been anything but hysterical about this.

people commonly post about their dogs vomiting because they are looking for a solution to why it is occuring. when, in a several month span, smart people who happen to be feeding EVO are creating a dramatically large number of posts about vomiting, it raises a red flag in my head...maybe thats just me.

the fact is, Natura (and anyone else for that matter) could have changed ingredients and nobody would know it if the company took full advantage of AAFCO's loose labelling requirements.

the only proof would be if somewhere a few months down the road people notice changed ingredient lists on the bags.

none of these consumers are going to have the ability to have their kibble properly analyzed for a breakdown of the ingredients. all they can rely on is the label. unfortunately, that may or may not be accurate at this time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts