Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may seem like a stupid question...but what is the point of evo dog treats? like,let's say im feeding shane the herring evo(plan to in a few months)...
evo is very high in meat...do the wild cravings herring treats taster ANY different?????

is the point to use a different flavor? like herring evo for kibble, and red meat treats for rewards?

stupid question,but i cant imagine the treats being anything else than cool looking kibbles.

oh and another question. ive been doing some digging around, and it appears that the herring evo is similar in composition to the small bites evo. im afraid shane might choke on this. ive seen many people on the laborador forums have success with evo herring, but still wanted thoughts on feeding a smaller kibble!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The wild cravings treats are essentially, dog food "treats". Good treats....I've fed them before. But if all you feed is kibble food, why do their treats have to be processed too? If you are doing a 100% kibble diet, fresh or dehydrated treats are the way to go.

As far as small bits, I prefer to feed the small bits to my to big Weims. Dogs don't chew food. They tear and swallow. Larger kibble is just that much harder to break down in the digestive system.

If you want them to chew, check out the chews available from Jones, Bravo, Canine Caviar and Merrick.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
We feed Evo kibble and one of my big dogs actually doesn't like the Evo treats. He will only eat real meat treats like lamb lung or dehydrated stuff (rotten dog!) and will walk away from Evo treats. Luckily my sons dogs will eat them since I have a few bags left.

For the price of them, I would stick to real meat treats that dogs really go crazy over, especially if they are being used for training or for a special reward. We even use string cheese which is at least 100% natural and we can eat it at the same time!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We feed Evo kibble and one of my big dogs actually doesn't like the Evo treats. He will only eat real meat treats like lamb lung or dehydrated stuff (rotten dog!) and will walk away from Evo treats. Luckily my sons dogs will eat them since I have a few bags left.

For the price of them, I would stick to real meat treats that dogs really go crazy over, especially if they are being used for training or for a special reward. We even use string cheese which is at least 100% natural and we can eat it at the same time!
ahh eyah my dog likes string cheese.. i just think itll give hom the squirts lol. do you give a whole piece?
i am not at all interested i fneeding the evo treats..i wil be switching shane to evo herring in a few months dog food.. and iwas just wondering how could the treats tste any different????
i mean evo herring is full of meat, doesnt even have potatoes..and ididnt really look at the evo herring treats ingridients but i assume they are the same, so just differently shaped evo kibble marketed as treats?

did you feed your dogs the same flavor kibble and treats? if i do feed shane evo herring and decide to feed the treats iwill probavbly just go with evo red meat treats.i dont like the red meat ibble but as treats itll be great.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wild cravings treats are essentially, dog food "treats". Good treats....I've fed them before. But if all you feed is kibble food, why do their treats have to be processed too? If you are doing a 100% kibble diet, fresh or dehydrated treats are the way to go.

As far as small bits, I prefer to feed the small bits to my to big Weims. Dogs don't chew food. They tear and swallow. Larger kibble is just that much harder to break down in the digestive system.

If you want them to chew, check out the chews available from Jones, Bravo, Canine Caviar and Merrick.
dsltydog those merrick treats are expensive..and a lot of them have like 80 or so percent proteins?

·
Registered
329 Posts
dsltydog those merrick treats are expensive..and a lot of them have like 80 or so percent proteins?
They all have 80% or so in protein. It's all meat! It's all natural. Can't put a filler in a tendon, lung or trachea.

If you think Merrick treats are expensive, then they'll look like a value compared to the other three I mentioned. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
this may seem like a stupid question...but what is the point of evo dog treats? like,let's say im feeding shane the herring evo(plan to in a few months)...
evo is very high in meat...do the wild cravings herring treats taster ANY different?????

is the point to use a different flavor? like herring evo for kibble, and red meat treats for rewards?

stupid question,but i cant imagine the treats being anything else than cool looking kibbles.

oh and another question. ive been doing some digging around, and it appears that the herring evo is similar in composition to the small bites evo. im afraid shane might choke on this. ive seen many people on the laborador forums have success with evo herring, but still wanted thoughts on feeding a smaller kibble!
I doubt they taste any different the only difference between the herring treats and the kibble is that a few ingredients are missing in the treats

I used to feed my dog all three flavors chicken/red meats small bites and the Herring/Salmon formula, and noticed that my dog did better and was more energetic with the Herring/Salmon Formula, with the best coat out of the two flavors (I don't know maybe it's because it's fish?) I also used all 3 flavors of the treats, I liked using the herring formula because I have noticed the other two flavors made my dog gain a little weight with only 2 pieces but with the Herring treats my dog has even more energy and without the weight gain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts