Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I struck gold, and I'm so happy. I put an ad on craigslist asking for either cleaned out freezer meat or someone who raises meat for a reasonable price. Well after posting it for about a week or so, I finally got a really good bite! This rancher guy not too far from my house (in Reno, go figure) was cleaning out his freezer and had a ton of venison, lamb, pork, beef, and pheasant that he wasn't going to eat! I just got at least 50+ lbs of dog food for free! I'm so happy! And it's almost all red meat so my dogs can finally take a break from constant chicken for a while! :biggrin:

Score!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thats absolutely fantastic. Congratulations. If people use their heads, it is much cheaper to feed a good prey model raw diet than mid to high end kibble. Be sure to work that red meat into their diet gradually. It will make it last longer too. :smile:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I struck gold, and I'm so happy. I put an ad on craigslist asking for either cleaned out freezer meat or someone who raises meat for a reasonable price. Well after posting it for about a week or so, I finally got a really good bite! This rancher guy not too far from my house (in Reno, go figure) was cleaning out his freezer and had a ton of venison, lamb, pork, beef, and pheasant that he wasn't going to eat! I just got at least 50+ lbs of dog food for free! I'm so happy! And it's almost all red meat so my dogs can finally take a break from constant chicken for a while! :biggrin:

Score!
I did the same thing and got 2 responses withing the first 3 days! I am going to pick some stuff up this week! I am pretty excited too. But I posted mine on the wanted section. I will try the farm/garded section also!

·
Registered
39 Posts
That was a great idea.
We've used CL before to get dog crates, outdoor kennel fencing, garage cabinets, even a nice fridge. I'm always checking it out for crates/kennels in our area, can get stuff cheap sometimes-but avoid scams or stuff that just doesn't sound right.:smile:

L

·
0 Posts
If people use their heads, it is much cheaper to feed a good prey model raw diet than mid to high end kibble.

So all of us kibble feeders are not using our heads. How shocking. :rolleyes: The majority of posters here are kibble feeders, though. I have nothing against feeding raw, I say, "live and let live; to each its own." But don't insult us just because we don't feed our dogs the way you do.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So all of us kibble feeders are not using our heads. How shocking. :rolleyes: The majority of posters here are kibble feeders, though. I have nothing against feeding raw, I say, "live and let live; to each its own." But don't insult us just because we don't feed our dogs the way you do.
I think what RFD was saying is that some raw feeders don't think very hard about how to get their food and don't look for deals or ask for stuff like I did, so they end up spending way more money than they need to. So if you do it right, then you can spend much less than feeding mid to high end kibble, at which point the excuse not to switch to raw because of the cost is no longer valid.

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations, I couldn't stop smiling all afternoon!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thank you... I'm w/you on this one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think what RFD was saying is that some raw feeders don't think very hard about how to get their food and don't look for deals or ask for stuff like I did, so they end up spending way more money than they need to. So if you do it right, then you can spend much less than feeding mid to high end kibble, at which point the excuse not to switch to raw because of the cost is no longer valid.

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations, I couldn't stop smiling all afternoon!
RM: Not sure that's a true statement. I bet there are raw feeders just like that as well. :biggrin: And, there's some of us on both sides who just don't care what the expense is as long as, IMO, our dog is healthy and we are doing what we feel is best. :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Absolutely, I work really hard for my money, and if I want to spend it buying the best
organic raw food available to them, then I guess thats my right. I feel too many people have looked down on me here because I can afford to buy that extra freezer, or buy things by the case for my dogs, of course thats my opinion on how you have made me feel here.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
So all of us kibble feeders are not using our heads. How shocking.
I wasn't clear enough in that statement. I see posts quite often from people who say that would like to feed their dogs a raw diet but can't afford it. I was just pointing out that it can be cheaper to feed raw than to feed a decent kibble.

ETA: I don't think kibble feeders should visit the raw feeding forum and expect to see posts from people saying how good kibble is for dogs and what a wise choice it is to feed kibble. :smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely, I work really hard for my money, and if I want to spend it buying the best
organic raw food available to them, then I guess thats my right. I feel too many people have looked down on me here because I can afford to buy that extra freezer, or buy things by the case for my dogs, of course thats my opinion on how you have made me feel here.
Oh heck no, if you have the money, then go for it! If I could afford an extra freezer I'd have bought my dogs an entire organically, locally raised cow by now! Ok actually if I could afford it I'd have started my own little farm and raised the meat myself :smile:

But as I don't have the money and am in college, being cheap and getting second hand meat or WalMart meat are my best options right now. I'm just saying there are cheaper ways of doing it if you are looking/needing to save money, and I still feel like I'm feeding the best thing I can afford to feed them. And I'm still spending less than my kibble-feeding roommate is, especially now with this oh so generous donation.

I'm happy, you all can go on fighting about it if you want.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't clear enough in that statement. I see posts quite often from people who say that would like to feed their dogs a raw diet but can't afford it. I was just pointing out that it can be cheaper to feed raw than to feed a decent kibble.
See? I was right.

ETA: I don't think kibble feeders should visit the raw feeding forum and expect to see posts from people saying how good kibble is for dogs and what a wise choice it is to feed kibble. :smile:
Yes, but we need not insult them either. Which you didn't in that case, it was just a simple misunderstanding.

But it's true, when I go to the kibble section to post my opinions, I try to stick to kibble unless it looks like kibble really isn't going to work for that dog (like kidney failure dogs) or they're asking for alternatives. So coming to the raw section, misunderstanding something I tried to clear up, telling me I was wrong and getting defensive about it just doesn't seem very sporting to me IMO.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm a kibble feeder but I come to the raw section to get more information and I agree with Rann that no matter what, we should not insult each other or look down on those that don't have the same beliefs. I've always been interested in raw, but either way...its a bit pricey in southern california. If theres anyone from so cal that feeds raw, please let me know how you do it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't live in California but there is a large co-op of raw feeders in the southern Californial area that gets their meats pretty cheap. I think they also get a good variety of exotic meats as well. I can't remember the name of the group off the top of my head. I'm sure someone else knows of them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I visit the raw feeding posts often and I feed kibble and I don't advocate kibble as the best choice. I find the raw postings very educational and who knows, one day I may feed raw. I think the best food we can give our dogs is what we can give our dogs. And, I don't favor one over the other. It is all a personal opinion. And, I value all opinions on the matter. That's why these forums are great -- for differing opinions.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another ad posted to craigslist and I got an even bigger haul this time! Oh man, this guy cleaned out his freezer gave me about 100+ lbs of beef and elk!

My extra freezer is now almost completely full (as opposed to nearly completely empty like it was) and my dogs are already excited!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts