Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you get a dog food that doesn't contain any fish meal or fish ingredients does that mean that there is no ethoxyquin in the food?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and the link. While doing my searching it seemed that it is mostly related to preserving fish, but now I understand that it can be used in more ingredients.....what nasty stuff.....:frown:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Dog foods that include BHT, BHA, Ethoxyquin, are a potential cancer risk. Dogs can have skin conditions because of the preservatives. They're chemicals used to preserve the food for a long time. Ethoxyquin is used in consumer products like spices, but you would have to eat a lot of that particular spice, to be consuming what a dog eats! People have done a lot of complaining about the use of Ethoxyquin in their dogs food (YEAH) and the manufactures are going to a more natural preservative ~different vitamins ~spices~other ways to preserve dog foods. For the manufactures of the dog foods its good for us to know they have gone away from the bad chemicals and for them it means a shorter shelf life of the dog food they are making which is fine! We really don't need dog food to be around for like a year! The manufacturer of the dog food is suppose to put how the fish is preserved on the labels.

Reactions: luvMyBRT

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ethoxyquin is a preservative in fish meal. If there is no fish anything in the food...you are probably good....

If you buy a quality dog food it should have Salmon Oil in it over canola or flaxseed....thus the manufacturer better state that it is Ethoxyquin free.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
a person could always buy products from Natura and Champion and never have to worry about Ethoxyquin...

Just a thought ;)

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Ethoxyquin is a preservative in fish meal. If there is no fish anything in the food...you are probably good....

If you buy a quality dog food it should have Salmon Oil in it over canola or flaxseed....thus the manufacturer better state that it is Ethoxyquin free.
is chicken fa used in the same way as canola oil,salmon oil?
and whats it mean mixed with tropholiptus.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ethoxyquin is only used to preserve fish MEALS ( not whole fish, so a food having salmon or herring or trout is fine...... salmon meal, herring meal, etc could be preserved with E.) All Diamond products with fish meal do contain ethoxyquin. The loophole they have is that manufacturers don't have to disclose if their SUPPLIERS use ethoxyquin, only if they add it themselves. All Natura, Fromm, Champion, Petcurean products are ethoxyquin free.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The loophole they have is that manufacturers don't have to disclose if their SUPPLIERS use ethoxyquin, only if they add it themselves. All Natura, Fromm, Champion, Petcurean products are ethoxyquin free.
exactly. there are a bunch of manufacturers who use the claim "we dont use ehtoxyquin" or state we preserve with mixed tocopherals. this doesn not mean their suppliers are not using it, it only tells you what the manufacturer has put in themselves. unless they put something in writing stating they dont add it AND their suppliers dont use it, then i will assume it is in their fish products.

"x company does not preserve with ethoxyquin" is a meaningless statement. if you want to be sure, contact your manufacturer and ask them to verify that they dont use it and their suppliers dont use it.

U.S. based dog food manufacturers have to get a special permit before they may have their supplier preserve with something other than E.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i have heard that commercial chicken feed is very E heavy. and that it is possible even if your dog food does not have fish, there is enough E in the chickens from eating the E heavy chicken food... your dog food might contain E.

i dont know how accurate this is.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Ethoxyquin is only used to preserve fish MEALS ( not whole fish, so a food having salmon or herring or trout is fine...... salmon meal, herring meal, etc could be preserved with E.) All Diamond products with fish meal do contain ethoxyquin. The loophole they have is that manufacturers don't have to disclose if their SUPPLIERS use ethoxyquin, only if they add it themselves. All Natura, Fromm, Champion, Petcurean products are ethoxyquin free.
i honestly am not hugely concerned about the ethoxyquin content in my dog's canidae grain free. this is for 2 reasons. the first reason is that taste of the wild claims that the cooking process eliminates most of the ethox. to less than .05 percent or something. i assume candiae uses the same cooking process since they are a lso made by diamonds facility.

my second reason for not being super concerned, is that canidae grain frees barely has any fish meal in it. ocean fish meal is the last meat ingredient in the food it is the 8th ingredien i nthe food.

i am confident that this as well as the fact it is cooked to kill it odd, will ensure that the ethoxyquin levels arent too much of a concern for shanes health!

what i am more concerned of is that potatoes are the 4th
Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb, potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), lamb meal, ocean fish meal, tomato pomace,

Reactions: dogcrazy

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have heard that commercial chicken feed is very E heavy. and that it is possible even if your dog food does not have fish, there is enough E in the chickens from eating the E heavy chicken food... your dog food might contain E.

i dont know how accurate this is.
see what i mean? if it's not one thing it's the other!!!!
i don't view etho as a big problem because anything in excess is harmful and i would just go crazy analyzing and having a PERFECT dog food.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally, I think that you should look for a dog food that doesn't have any chemicals in it, and if you can't find it, feed raw. Those things can be and area big deal for both humans and animals. There have been numerous times when certain porducts were considered safe in moderation and didn't turned out to be, and the standard is actually pretty low. You can eat pretty much anything in moderation (even posions, actually) and not die right away, but it doesn't make it acceptable to put in food.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would definitely go homemade/raw but for other reasons like dog food being around for only 60 years and it being only for MONEY.

·
Banned
539 Posts
It is only used in fish meal and is used in some human spices......

I did a huge study on this and the problem is the US Coast Guard requires it's use if the meal is ""made at sea"". Manufactures can get a specil permit but it cost money....Here is what I found.

Canadian manufactures are not bound by that law and Champion foods(Orijen & Acana), Horizon/Horizon Legacy and Petcurean (Go,Now and Smmit) DO NOT USE IT nor do their supplies.

American manufactures Wellness and Artemis have the special permits.

Every other dog food manufacture in America that has fish meal in it most likely has been preserved by the big bad E by their suppliers. I emailed every decent dog food manufacture and I certainly got a lot of BS.

Nature's Variety says their fish meal is frozen by their suppliers.

Merrick, Breeders Choice, Timberwolf, Nature's Logic and Fromm all stated that they did not buy from suppliers that did use it.These were the only companies who stated that their suppliers did not use it.

Naturapet, (Evo, Innova, California Natural, Health Wise and Karma) states it loud and clear on their web site, that they do not buy from suppliers who use it. But P & G bought this company so I know this company well change that, because it is a added cost to the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the answer of the Premium Edge about the fish meal. I asked them yesterday.

Dear Laurie:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The fish meal that is used in Premium Edge is preserved naturally, both prior to and after entering port. All of the fish meal is preserved with mixed tocopherols (vitamin E).

Sincerely,

Melissa Brookshire, DVM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts