Dog Food Chat banner

Energy level.... and going into red meat?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Grandiose 
#1 ·
So I've noticed that Piper's energy level seems a bit lower then normal the past couple of days. She's been on chicken backs and legs for 2 weeks now, no issues (well she threw up one morning, but it was chicken, no bones) and she's taking those chickens down like a pro. No cannon butt or anything like that. The only time her poop got mushy was went i feed her too much.

So i've been thinking of introducing her to red meat in hopes of giving her an energy boost. Also maybe toss in some fish a week later.... she's already gotten some cod liver oil things for some omega 3's.... anyways - Good idea?

I was thinking of some beef heart and maybe some chunks of beef for her afternoon meals.... and sticking to chicken backs for some bony goodness.

#7 ·
Yeah, i read that its good for their coats and joints... and it provides omega fatty acids and vitamins. I've seen it in pet shops. I have heard that salmon oil is "better" though.

Why have you heard anything bad about it? I mean if people feed their dogs fish I can't see it being bad?

#6 ·
When my guys were switched their energy fluctuated over about 6 weeks. I think they were kind of detoxing. After that time their energy increased but without being hyperactivity. They were just more happy and playful. I did notice that venison hearts makes them loony - they just run and play like pups for hours on end. Otherwise I don't notice much difference in their behavior when fed different meats. I feed Collies and Shelties.

#11 ·
Your dog is used to a completely different different style of eating. Kibble is loaded with "bioavailable proteins" and loads and loads of sugar.

Real meat requires a different make up of digestion, and it takes time for the little guy to transition. Don't worry as it will settle down and you will find that your dog should no longer have sugar rushes and crashes, it will become a more constant level of energy.

If you think of it as you eating nothing but jam sandwiches made on white bread for a few weeks then instantly changing to good quality wholemeal pastas and bread with fresh vegetables. You would notice a drop of in energy for a while. But one is healthy one ain't!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
I wouldn't use cod liver oil, you don't want to overdose vitamin A. I started my cats on pork after chicken (3 weeks in) and they were fine. I think every animal is different, but I wouldn't be adding in all sorts of different things so quickly, especially heart since it is rich. Someone with more experience will probably pipe up. I know it's exciting to feed new foods but we have to be patient!

#13 ·
Part of the reason you do Turkey after Chicken is because of different bone densities. You are trying to "reset" their digestive system to process bones and raw meats instead of the processed crap in kibble. My guys passed chicken with flying colors! They did turkey necks well, wings well, and then I tossed them turkey drumsticks and UH OH, we had a problem!! The bones in turkey drumsticks are DENSE bones...and 4 out of my 5 dogs eating PMR threw up bone chunks the next day. Told Hubby about it, and he freaked out..."So they will never get Turkey again, right?"....nope, few days later, tossed them turkey drumsticks again, and they were all gobbled up, and not one single dog even thought about throwing up chunks of bone. A week later we went into pork ribs without any issue.
It takes time to get their body used to digesting what we are giving them. Moving slowly through the proteins from "bland" to "rich" slowly is the BEST way to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.