Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people here have talked about deer antlers but I just got an email from Best Bully Sticks and they now sell Elk Antlers. Before I consider buying one for Rocky I was wondering if they are really worth the price. They want $13 for one and that seemed like a lot. Do they last a really long time and not hurt the dogs teeth? These are suppose to be shed from the Elk and not hurt the Elk in anyway. I wouldn't get one unless I knew that it was going to last a really long time at that price.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Being rather new to raw feeding, I don't know much about elk antlers, however from what I understand you are considering purchasing these from a pet company. If I were you, I'd try to get them from somewhere else instead, that doesn't sell pet products. The only fear I would have with these antlers made specifically for dogs, is that often times pet food products are far below human quality products. I'm not sure about antlers/bones, but I know it isn't a good idea to purchase pre made frozen raw diets from your local pet store. Again, I am new to raw feeding, so hopefully someone with more experience can give you some more specific advice. :smile:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Instead of paying the extremely overpriced "dog store" prices for antlers, I went to Ebay instead. For about $50 shipped I got a BIG rack that'll probably last us for a couple of years.

I cut one tip off and they were semi-interested in it. It's when I gave them the whole rack that they really liked it. Some nights 2 of them will be chewing on it at the same time.

Speaking of... just looked over and Shiloh decided it was time to chew on it :biggrin:

·
Banned
493 Posts
Besides cleaning teeth and keeping your dog occupied, do deer antlers have special nutritional benefits to them? Are they similar to the calcium benefits in bone, or would deer antlers be considered bone?:smile:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Besides cleaning teeth and keeping your dog occupied, do deer antlers have special nutritional benefits to them? Are they similar to the calcium benefits in bone, or would deer antlers be considered bone?:smile:
That I honestly can't answer... I just know the dogs love them and you can't get much more natural

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instead of paying the extremely overpriced "dog store" prices for antlers, I went to Ebay instead. For about $50 shipped I got a BIG rack that'll probably last us for a couple of years.

I cut one tip off and they were semi-interested in it. It's when I gave them the whole rack that they really liked it. Some nights 2 of them will be chewing on it at the same time.

Speaking of... just looked over and Shiloh decided it was time to chew on it :biggrin:
It's funny, I think about Ebay for all kinds of stuff but didn't think about it for doggie stuff at all. Thanks.

·
Banned
493 Posts
That I honestly can't answer... I just know the dogs love them and you can't get much more natural
Ok thanks. Also, are there any preservatives or chemicals on the antlers?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Antlers are made of bone and shed every year. I imagine the ones used in the pet industry are picked up on big game farms. I don't see a need to use preservatives or chemicals on them, bone is bone there isn't anything there to decay or deteriorate. So, I wouldn't think preservatives would be used.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Antlers are made of bone and shed every year. I imagine the ones used in the pet industry are picked up on big game farms. I don't see a need to use preservatives or chemicals on them, bone is bone there isn't anything there to decay or deteriorate. So, I wouldn't think preservatives would be used.

But lots of chemical preservatives are used on real bones that are sold for dogs in super markets and pet stores? I think that preservatives are added for safety on the company's part, so they don't get sued if someone's dog gets sick from them.

Here is my rule of thumb...if its a natural occuring thing, like a bone, and if it comes in a package...run away!!! If something is packaged, it has preservatives in it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
OOOHHHH now that sounds interesting! I went to Doctors Fosters and Smith and ordered the deer antlers EXPENSIVE! But I have to say for the expense, the 4 dogs (I only bought 2~ 1 small 1-large) they had them wow for months and they still enjoyed them. Not like some bones where they decide they will not eat them anymore! So I am now tempted to try the Elk since I had such good luck with the deer antler! Good to know thanks!:smile:

·
Registered
219 Posts
But lots of chemical preservatives are used on real bones that are sold for dogs in super markets and pet stores? I think that preservatives are added for safety on the company's part, so they don't get sued if someone's dog gets sick from them.

Here is my rule of thumb...if its a natural occuring thing, like a bone, and if it comes in a package...run away!!! If something is packaged, it has preservatives in it.
Are you referring to the "ham bone" type things? These have some meat on them that I believe has been air dried. So, yes they probably have preservatives. Antlers however are just bone, no meat or velvet. If they have velvet on them they were not shed naturally, they were cut off.
I wasn't sure if a pet food company would use preservatives so I emailed best bully sticks about their "Antlerz" products they carry and this was their response:
No preservatives, pressure washing and sandblasting is how they are cleaned. We hope that this information helps!

Thanks,

Best Bully's

But, if they are cheaper on Ebay, go for it! :wink:
I'm going to ask some of my hunter friends for antlers :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

·
Banned
493 Posts
WOW! Looks like your dog really enjoys the antlers! I'll defiantly have to look into getting some for Lucky:smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts