Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before. I did a search and didn't really find an answer...probably because I didn't look hard enough! :tongue:

Anyways, once I get further down the road and after their transition do I need to give the dogs eggs? Once a week? Twice a week? Just give it to them whole?

And, exactly what do the eggs give the dogs nutrient wise? Protein? Do the shells provide something?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Anyways, once I get further down the road and after their transition do I need to give the dogs eggs?
It's your choice. Some people feed eggs, some don't.

Once a week? Twice a week?
Some give them two or three times a week. I give them about once a week. Some just give them sometimes on no particular schedule.

Just give it to them whole?
Mine don't really know what to do with a whole egg. I break them and put them in a bowl with fish and cow liver. I used to feed them the shell but stopped that once I figured out that they were getting plenty of calcium in thier diet without eggshells.

And, exactly what do the eggs give the dogs nutrient wise? Protein?
They are pretty much an every nutrient food. There is everything in an egg. Remember it provides food for a growing pre-hatched bird.

Do the shells provide something?
Calcium mostly.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I give the girls whole eggs on occasion. I give them whole and they carry them around the yard like treasures. They throw them around until they break which then they just gobble them up. It's a riot to watch :wink:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I give the dogs eggs once a week, when I was giving them 3 times a week it really showed in their coats but I couldn't handle the egg farts.:biggrin:

I mix the egg in with their fish meal, liver and kelp and those farts are disasterous.:eek:

Reactions: luvMyBRT

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. :biggrin:
I'll give them an egg or two a week once they get through the transition. It will be fun to watch what they do with them! I wonder if I'll have to end up breaking the egg for them...LOL.

RFD- Do you think putting the egg over the fish and organs helps your dogs to eat these foods? I have heard people say their dogs don't like fish or organs so I wonder if this is something that would help?

I am laughing so hard right now.....dog egg farts....I can't even begin to imagine how much those reek! :eek::eek::tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think it totally depends on the dog and how much they like eggs. Give it a shot and see if it works. But that won't be for several months down the road!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
RFD- Do you think putting the egg over the fish and organs helps your dogs to eat these foods? I have heard people say their dogs don't like fish or organs so I wonder if this is something that would help?
No, I do it because it's convenient to me. It's an easy time to feed the eggs. I don't use a bowl with most meals. This is one meal that I do use bowls.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!
I know to not push things and go too fast! I will go slowly and take my time so the pups have an easy transition.

I will wait atleast a month before introducing a SMALL portion of organ...right? Two months?

Would I introduce eggs after this?

Getting excited for Monday!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would say at least a month. Maybe two for Lucky because she is older, Duncan will switch over easier most likely. It all just depends on how your dogs handle things. I wouldn't add eggs in til after organs just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Anyways, once I get further down the road and after their transition do I need to give the dogs eggs? Once a week? Twice a week? Just give it to them whole?
I give Aspen whole eggs 2-3 times a week. To my surprise, he doesn't fart. He does fart maybe once in a while, but hardly ever. I thought he was going to blow the roof away with the eggs. He didn't know what to do with them at first. But then he got the hang of it. I mean, once I put the egg in his mouth, it cracks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
On the topic of eggs...

What part of the egg has the most benefit? The white or the yoke? I always assumed the yoke had more nutritional content and that the white was mostly all protein.

I routinely give Ania the yoke while I eat the white. Every once and a while, I give her a whole egg. But mostly, she gets yokes.

Where's the good stuff? :biggrin:

·
Registered
659 Posts
When I look at the analysis on nutritiondata.com there are 14 vitamins and minerals in double digits for a cup of egg yolks and only 4 in double digits for a cup of egg whites. Then there are 16 vitamins and minerals in double digits for a cup of whole eggs. They are a nice package, why split it up?

Oh, I thought there was more protein in the whites too but the yolks have more protein. 26 grams in a cup of whites, 38 grams in a cup of yolks.

Don't FEED a cup of egg, using that unit just magnified the nutrient levels so they were more easily compared. I usually forget to feed egg though it is interesting seeing how Max can lick the shell clean through the tiniest of cracks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts