Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We take a lot of walks in the woods and fields and the other day we walked past a big carcass. I did my best CSI impression and was guessing which animal it was when my husband pointed out the intact deer head staring at me from a few feet away! The body only had bones left but the head was intact......kind of weird. This was the second one we've found in a month.

My question is....later on in the walk Rocky stuck his head in a big clump of grass and came up with something in his mouth that he was crunching on. Being the fussy mother that I am, I reached in his mouth and pulled out a piece of bone about the size of a vertebrae. Is it safe to let dogs eat what they find on walks or should I keep removing dead critters from his mouth? He is perfectly willing to let me take whatever I want from him and throw it away but I hate to have to keep rushing over and yanking his mouth open if he's not gonna get sick from it. Can he get rabies from a dead coon or fox if he eats one? We have a lot of coon and fox here and a lot of rabies. We just found a dead raccoon on the side of the road this week and a dead fox not that long ago.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Rabies is transmitted by bite wound, not by ingesting something.

It should be fine for you to let him munch on things he find, but there is a good chance that he will get digestive upset from it if he's not used to that kind of bacterial load.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My Skylar (RIP) used to eat road kill squirrels that had been dead as long as a week and were pretty rotten. This was before our raw feeding days and it would really freak me out. She never had any negative reactions from them. If she got a squirrel in her mouth before I could stop her, no one could get it out. I wouldn't worry too much about it for your dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts