Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Beef heart worked great. When it cut it into slices it stays chewy like a jerky which they like a lot better than cubes that are crunchier. Cubes are a quick treat but the strips take a few more seconds to eat, I can see them savoring the flavor lol. The gland did not work. After almost five hours it was still oily and still moist.

They had emu for the first time last night and they love it, even Lila, which is surprising since she hates quail. It seems to be a very rich meat, which is something she loves. I may have to make some emu strips.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
How long did you cook the beef heart for? I've got a couple of pork hearts in the freezer that I might give a go.
Bought some more chicken breast today as the dogs have hoovered through the batch I made last week.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
my mom taught me how to make jerky like this, she used to make venison jerky for my dad and his freinds when they were together.

i make some for the dogs, unseasoned, then make some for myself! makes a good snack if your on a diet!
i like to hang my meat from the rack and have a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch any drippings, that way you dont have to struggle with it sticking to the pan

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just put a batch of beef lung in the oven tonight. I like to put a layer of parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Keeps it from sticking and soaks up any moisture so it doesn't cook onto the cookie sheet.

I had to be very careful how much chicken jerkey and dehydrated liver I gave my dogs for treats when I made them. Gave them really bad gas and even runny stool. The beef lung isn't as rich and is easier on their tummies. For us, at least.

Thanks for motivating me to make more dehydrated treats. I've got to make some room in the freezer. Hunting season coming up and the guys are going to be #%$$&@ at me if there is no room for deer meat. lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
I recently tried pork and that has to be "my" favorite so far for texture. I like to use them as small treats, so i break them up into pieces and the pork has broken the best so far. It's isn't brittle like beef and chicken have been and isn't chewy and over flexible like the venison, breaks easy without leaving crumbs.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think I'm dehydrating liver the wrong way. Is it suppose to look like a blackish/brownish blob (almost shiny too, like obsidain)? So am I doing something wrong? I just slice up semifrozen liver and place it in the dehydrator.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have another question. How do you think these treats should be stored? I am a part of the Pre-Vet club at my college and we were going to sell dog treats at family and friends weekend and I'm sure people are going to want to make the traditional wheat filled treats. I was going to propose making some of these as well. But if we sell them I want to be able to tell people how to store them. I myself have left them out for days and still fed them to Tucker but I'm not sure if that is actually the best thing to do....should I say they can be refrigerated for up to a week (or two?) and frozen thereafter....or what?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I think I'm dehydrating liver the wrong way. Is it suppose to look like a blackish/brownish blob (almost shiny too, like obsidain)? So am I doing something wrong? I just slice up semifrozen liver and place it in the dehydrator.
That's what I do with beef liver. Slice and dehydrate. I have chicken liver in the dehydrator right now, whole. Ours don't like chicken liver, so I'm hoping they will like it as a jerky treat. Yes, they do look black , and sort of shriveled up like.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I have another question. How do you think these treats should be stored? I am a part of the Pre-Vet club at my college and we were going to sell dog treats at family and friends weekend and I'm sure people are going to want to make the traditional wheat filled treats. I was going to propose making some of these as well. But if we sell them I want to be able to tell people how to store them. I myself have left them out for days and still fed them to Tucker but I'm not sure if that is actually the best thing to do....should I say they can be refrigerated for up to a week (or two?) and frozen thereafter....or what?
I haven't ever used the fridge or freezer. As long as they are dehydrated all the way I use a ziplock to store them in a cabnet. Jerky never lasts long around here whether It's ours or the dogs. But it should keep at room temperature once deydrated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, I got my new double oven in last night. We've been without one since March, just using a hob and microwave.
I was looking through a recipe book for something to bake and then I remembered this thread on dog treats. I had a pack of chicken breasts in the freezer, so they are now in the oven cooking away nicely. I'm sure my husband will be expecting some kind of pie or special dinner, oh well.:biggrin:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I tried this with thin strips of veal at 200* in my oven. I must have done something wrong because they came out more like chips than jerky.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thats a good question. The more moisture that is drawn out, the longer it can keep, although excessive dehydration is gonna make it tougher and possibly much less nutritious. Also jerkies i make for my own usage are pre-marinated in soy sauce, or worcestershire sauce, and/or salts/seasonings, things that help preserve it, and I'm not afraid to keep for several weeks at room temp., but those same additivess are definitely not good for the pooch. I think that pure unadulterated dehydrated meat i wouldn't want to keep out of refrigeration for more than a few days, but with refrigeration or freezing after dehydration, i wouldn't be afraid to increase that time VERY considerably, like weeks in the frig, or months in the freezer.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts