Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made this treats because I had to cut out people food treats in Jack's diet (no more tortilla chips lol). The recipe is simple, just plain chicken cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips. Place in oven at 200 degrees F on ungreased baking sheet for about 2-4 hours. My first batch was thin and only took about 2 hours, and my second batch was closer to about half inch and took around 4 hours. I still keep them in the fridge just to be safe, but they are dry, easily breakable, and perfect for tiny treats in between meals.

DSC00503.jpg DSC00500.jpg

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I got a dehydrator recently to make treats for my dogs. I have a ton of ground mat from Craigslist so I made ground beef jerky. It turned out pretty well and the dogs love it. It is a great way to use up ground meats. Your chicken jerky looks good too. I will have to try some of that too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! They love them, even when I dip them in a little ACV. It is a lot cheaper too. I payed about $4.50 dollars for the chicken breast at central market for about 10-15 dollars worth of happy hips.

I wish I had a dehydrator. I would dehydrate so many things, like apples and mango (for me of course!).

Do you guys think it would work with darker meats? Like turkey or emu?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Well, it's all your fault. I bought some chicken breast at the supermarket this afternoon. Going to have a go at making your chicken jerky. I think all the neighbour hood pups will really get off on it, it'll be nice for them to have a change anyway. Hope I don't burn it, I'm famous for that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is really hard to burn. Check on it every hour or so and it should be fine.

I just ordered some emu from my co-op so I will try to do some strips with that and take pics.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Thanks! They love them, even when I dip them in a little ACV. It is a lot cheaper too. I payed about $4.50 dollars for the chicken breast at central market for about 10-15 dollars worth of happy hips.

I wish I had a dehydrator. I would dehydrate so many things, like apples and mango (for me of course!).

Do you guys think it would work with darker meats? Like turkey or emu?
Yea, it would work. You can do any boneless meat. We have a dehydrator and I just dehydrated some calf liver last week and it was a hit!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Could I do heart in the oven ,anyone explain to me how ,betsy is the greediest dog!,I'm trying hard to train her basics she can do a lot but is very food motivated and I don't like using shop bought treats ,if I keep giving her the treats she's going to explode!,karen

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol Betsy sounds just like Jack! He will do anything for food. I am sure heart would work too, it just might be a little smellier because it is so rich. I have some beef heart in the freezer, I might try that this week.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I will give it a go because at the rate she's going she will soon look like a blown up fury balloon with tiny little legs dangling down !,so what heat setting do you think I should use ?,I have a fan assisted gas oven lol,karen

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did it at 200 degrees fahrenheit for a few hours. The time will vary though on the thickness of the meat.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well I cut the heart really thin and cooked it for an hour ,it did stick a bit to the baking tray lol,but it baked well ,and she loves it,thanks for the advice,karen

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Seriously, all the dogs absolutely adore the chicken jerky. It was almost worth the effort :D
It's their high value treat now. Mol learnt to file her nails on sandpaper in one lesson thanks to these treats.
I'm waiting for chicken breast to go on sale and I'll make up another batch.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yay! I am so happy these worked out for everyone. I am doing thin slices of beef heart tonight and a small amount of organ to try out. I think it is beef thymus, it is pink and spongy. The bag just said "gland" lol, I don't know why I didn't write out the full name.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts