Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing an order when they get lamb and goat organs in. Does anyone else use them/have experience with them, or can you check out their website and give me your thoughts? Product List

Thanks!

Brit

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I have a lot of dogs to feed and they seem really high prices on everything. We get chicken backs or frames for .42 per pound, chicken necks for .37 per pound and turkey neck for .68 per pound.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. US or Canada? I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Where do you get yours? (obviously not specific places, but what kinds of stores/places do you look)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks - you're pretty close. Again, where does everyone get that stuff?
I watch for sales at the stores. We found one source for our chicken quarters - 1.25$/lb and they give us as many frames as we like for free. We recently found a butcher who sells beef trimmings for 1.49$/lb. We also have another source that sells 1-1/2 lb blocks of ground chicken with bone for 1$/block. It's just a matter of calling places, try and drill down from your local butcher to his/her supplier. It takes a bit of time but eventually you start finding the sources :)

If you're ever out in Montreal - I can certainly give you names and numbers! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks. I just remembered I have another mtl contact I haven't tried yet. I can get ground stuff for $1/lb which I might use to supplement, but would like mostly whole.

Thanks for the help!

Brit

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I am in the U.S. so our prices are so much less but yes that is a good price especially for starting out. I don't use backs much anymore as I can get a variety of necks for their bone in meals but if I couln't get the necks I would still use the back and maybe add some doneless or ground if I had to, to make it more meaty.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I think the necks we get (turkey and duck necks) have more meat on them but the backs are great when starting and when adding new proteins or feeding organs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just stumbled on this thread.
I have and still do use them, really REALLY nice people. Beautiful dogs too.
I know a lot of people say the prices are high but compared to other places around here, they seem pretty decent. Even butchers ask for about the same price per pound from what I can see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there. Doesn't look tooo bad in prices to me. I get chicken backs at my butchers, 20 lbs for $30; turkey necks $14 for a box which I believe???? is in the range of 5 to 7 lbs. I like the turkey necks as they are bigger. I have 2 small (pugs) and 1 large mix breed and this way the boys don't try to swallow whole and have to munch a bit. Chicken necks they try to swallow whole, just too small. I get beef neck bones (lots of meat) for about $2 lb. I get ground beef muscle 20 lbs for $20 and ground chicken & bone 17 lbs for $20 at a near by (ok 45 minutes away) breeder. I just found pork breast bones in my local sobeys one sale for $1.74 kg regular $3.24 which was still a good buy and something I buy for my boys. I'm constantly on the lookout for meat for the boys. Its become a hobby now <G>. I'm in Eastern Ontario, by way of Peterborough. ttfn

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - having met one of the owners and feeding my dogs Barker's Brunch for a week now, I can happily say I am beyond pleased!!

Not only is the quality of meat fantastic and affordable, the people are great and really helpful, AND they are now supporting the local rescue that I work with! How much better can it get?! I highly recommend Barker's Brunch.. go to www.barkersbrunch.com :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts