Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious to see people's opinions on this matter.
It's a hot topic on a few other forums, where the issue is specific to that breed, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

I personally did not even CONSIDER cropping Annie's (Boxer) ears when I got her, even though she was evaluated as show, and I could have gotten a full registration on her. Even when I DO show Boxers sometime in the future, I'm 99.9% sure I will do it with natural ears, which is harder, therefore more expensive, to finish, but IMO worth them keeping their god given ears.

Some people, mostly in the show community, feel it's a disgrade to the breed to not conform to the breed standard. I even had kennels refuse sale to me because I did not want to crop. Honestly, for me it's more of a preference in looks, I do NOT like cropped ears on any breed. Though I have seen many beautiful cropped dogs, IMO they would have looked even better natural.

Ready, set, debate!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not a fan of cropped ears, regardless of breed. I like the "dog as nature intended". Just my two cents! :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I personally dont get the whole, mutilating for personal appesement deal. If I had a say in it, I would have left Uno with full tail, actually whoever cropped his tail didnt do it right and I think they pinched a nerve or something because hes always biting on it.

I went to Netherlands couple years ago and for the first time I saw some beautiful dobermans and rottweilers with full tails, they were happy and it showed!

L

·
0 Posts
I would not alter a dog in any way, not at all, except for spay / neuter. Dogs are beautiful naturally!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dane girl has cropped ears and I love them. She was intended to be a showgirl (which is why she was cropped) but I got lucky the day my breeder gave her to me instead. Although it was not my decision to crop, I consider myself educated about cropping and would do it with future pups.

I don't like crops on some dogs - boxers, schnauzers, pit bulls, etc. but on head breeds like danes, cropped ears are absolutely stunning.

Here is a weak argument, but it's the truth. People say that floppy ears are God-given. Not so. Floppy ears are actually created by humans - if you look at animals in nature, all of them have short, standing ears. When man started breeding, ears were seen as a less important trait to breed for, and so ears became longer and floppier. Cropping them actually brings them BACK to nature, or perhaps, the way God intended them (if you believe in that sort of thing).

I think all dogs, cropped or not, are beautiful. But threads like these annoy me - it comes down to personal preference. If you crop, kudos. If you don't, kudos.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Same here. I like dogs the way they were born. I really don't see the meaning of altering the look. :wink: Except for the spay/neuter. :wink:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dane girl has cropped ears and I love them. She was intended to be a showgirl (which is why she was cropped)
Does no one else find it a little ironic that to fit "breed standards" and successfully show, you first have to perform cosmetic surgery on them. Wouldn't one think that the best breeding prospects (which is the whole point of showing) would be considered based on natural atributes.
I went to a dog show in San Diego and got to talk to some people. This was before I had my Boxer, and I was mostly talking to Corgi people, where cropping isn't an issue. I heard a Dane breeder talking about how an ear cropping getting infected "ruined" her dane's ears and she would "have to place him in a pet home".

I don't like crops on some dogs - boxers, schnauzers, pit bulls, etc. but on head breeds like danes, cropped ears are absolutely stunning.
out of curiosity, what is a "head" breed? I have not heard this term and could not find anything when I googled it.

Here is a weak argument, but it's the truth. People say that floppy ears are God-given. Not so. Floppy ears are actually created by humans - if you look at animals in nature, all of them have short, standing ears. When man started breeding, ears were seen as a less important trait to breed for, and so ears became longer and floppier. Cropping them actually brings them BACK to nature, or perhaps, the way God intended them (if you believe in that sort of thing).
I would say that "natural," be it through selective breeding or otherwise, refers to the attributes the dog was given at birth. Therefore, born floppy, IMO should stay floppy. Born erect, should stay that way as well.

I think all dogs, cropped or not, are beautiful. But threads like these annoy me - it comes down to personal preference. If you crop, kudos. If you don't, kudos.
I didn't mean to annoy you, forgive me. This topic comes up a lot on a breed-specific forum I am on all the time, but because it applies to every single person there, it just gets too personal and heated. I wanted to get clear-minded opinions on a forum that isn't breed specific, that won't get every single member on their high horse taking everything to heart.

For ME, it is more of a personal preference. I can't stand cropping, but it isn't so much a moral issue to me, moreso I think 99.9% of dogs look absolutely rediculous with cropped ears. Like I said, I have seen SOME looks good with cropped, but none that wouldn't look BETTER natural. (for example, I think Chelsea, the older Boxer on here looks good with her crop, even though it is not a show crop. it wasn't the first thing I noticed in her pictures, I think she's pretty. but most of the time I see a cropped dog, I just think "you poor thing, you could have been so pretty.

I mean really, she's perfect.....

Why ruin that by making them stick straight up, and that's IF they even last through endless taping and posting.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is needless mutilation to crop ears and tails. I HATE that it's a "breed standard" for pups like Danes, Boxers, Dobies, etc.

You can't honestly tell me that these beauties would look better as pointy ears sticking straight up...
Okay, off topic, just had to say how pretty she is. Love her coloring. She honestly makes me consider getting a dane someday. :rolleyes:(haha, my fiance will now hate you for posting her pics.)

You should post pics of her more often!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would never do this to any dog ever! I have seen this and its just not right! Ears are ears! I say leave them the way nature intended!
Also this is an odd one but in an area a bit away from me a mother and son decided to crop their dogs tail yep just cut the tail with no numbing agent at all. They were caught well too late the damage was done. How horrible this must have been for that poor dog UGH! ( this was an article in the local paper . I am glad that they posted it to tell people how horrible it is. The word needs to get out!) No to ear cropping no to tail cropping no cutting anything ever! Dogs need to be just the way they are! Love them this way!
Well now of course I do say spay and neuter though ! So I guess there is one cutting I do agree to!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
out of curiosity, what is a "head" breed? I have not heard this term and could not find anything when I googled it.
A "head breed" is one known for their "beautiful" heads. In the Dane world, the head is the most beautiful part of the dog...which is the case with most mastiff breeds. Judges and breeders look at a Dane's head shape and size first and foremost when selecting breeding/show dogs.

If a Dane does not have a beautiful head, they wont go anywhere in the show world, unfortunately. Bailey has a beautiful head, but Akasha does not...she is still as cute as a button tho!!!

I have seen very few crop jobs that actually make the head on a Dane, or boxer, look better than natural. And to make them that way...takes a lot of hard work and diligence with bandaging and taping while in puppyhood.

I would never crop a dog's ears. Danes in particular speak a LOT with their ears. They carry so much emotion in them, just in the way that they move their ears...that it's a tragedy to me when those means of communication are cut off.

I have had several friends consider cropping and on their way to the vet they stop and take a long, hard look at those big, floppy ears and smile, turn around and go back home.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I assumed it ment, but then Boxers were labeled in that post as not a "head" breed, so i was confused as a Boxer's head pretty much makes or breaks her in the show ring. When Annie was evaluated as "show" or "pet" by akc judge Pew, he stacked her and mostly looked at her head at every angle, and her bite, of course.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yes, I don't like the fact that you have to perform "cosmetic surgery" on a dog just to show them (just my opinion). I guess I can understand it though. What really annoys me is that some people crop their dogs' ears just to make them look tougher :mad: (pitts, dobes, cane corsos, etc.). My dog was born with erect ears. But if he had floppy ears, I would leave them alone!! :biggrin: :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I kinda relate it to doing cosmetic surgery on an infant. They have no say or choice in the matter, just like a dog...if the parent wants it done it gets done.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I think it will eventually be a mute point as more and more vets are refusing to do croppings. It is a unecceassary procedure for the purpose of a owners ego, I personally believe that people who can do those things to their dogs don't truly have compassion for the animal world!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it will eventually be a mute point as more and more vets are refusing to do croppings. It is a unecceassary procedure for the purpose of a owners ego, I personally believe that people who can do those things to their dogs don't truly have compassion for the animal world!
I think that it being illegal in other countries is opening up the show world a bit, and might change a few "breed standards." You can show Boxers with natural ears, and finish, though it does take longer and therefore more money, but it IS a start.
I don't know if they've really opened up to natural ear dobies, pits, danes, etc. Maybe Danemama will be able to shed some light there.

It bothers me that an ear crop gone wrong can "ruin" a dog's chances at finishing. I mean, what the heck does ear cropping the parents have a dang thing to do with how the puppies will be born? The dog will still throw the same quality pups, even if an idiot vet hacked the poor things ears to bits.

My vet DOES do ear cropping, (he is an akc judge and breeds bull terriers for show) but is not doing declawing on cats, or debarking on dogs, so glad to see vets refuse these services!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
There are the very few Danes that finish with natural ears. There are the same prejudices in the Dane world as in the Boxer world unfortunately.

I really do believe that cropping is on its way out, and to me is just archaic and outdated. Just like anything, ie Socialized medicine, etc...the US is the last to get the big picture :biggrin:

Hopefully we will soon follow in the footsteps of the Europe and banning crop jobs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally, I could never do it to my dog. And I am also sad she has a docked tail. I wish I had found and picked her out before the tails were done, but its so hard to tell at that age what the pups will be like personality-wise.

On another level, I do have some appreciation for a well done crop on a boxer, dob, or dane.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts