Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is controversial but I really want to hear people's opinions (I also might write a web article on this so I need real opinions)
So...humane or not?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I believe it is a cruel and vain procedure. It does nothing for the dog, its all for the human.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
NOT humane. Not only are they painful procedures for the dogs, but they strip the dog's use of its own body language. How can a dog read the body language of a dog that has no tail and no ear folds? Those are some major performers of body language.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You know, I used to be of the same opinion as those stated above - its cruel, etc. But after learning about the health effects of early spay and neuter (or even spaying and neutering at all) I've come to wonder if it is really the best thing for our dogs (who I attempt to raise as naturally as possible). That being said, I have four male dogs and I couldn't imagine living with all of them intact, I prefer the personality and managability of a neutered male. I know it sounds like I've gotten off topic, but the point I am making is that spaying and neutering is a pretty invasive surgery, and while I agree it is a necessity in this world, at the end of the day we ARE altering our dogs through surgery for our own convenice. So... I feel kinda like a hypocrite for bashing the good owners out there that do decide to crop/dock by calling it a "cruel" act. I'm not saying the above people are wrong either... I love all those ladies and I totally respect their opinion - I myself would NEVER choose to crop my puppies ears, he is perfect with what he's born with... but I don't feel comfortable calling it "cruel" anymore when done by a veterinary professional. I still think its shallow, I just can't ever imagine myself looking at my puppy and thinking "wow he'd look so much better with 1/3 of his ear", & It still makes me sad to see a puppy with freshly cropped or taped ears, I think the upkeep for a long crop like a dane or dobie looks miserable. But docking is a quick & easy procedure for puppies, and while I prefer dogs with tails, I do not think docking is cruel when done correctly.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
While I don't advocate ear cropping, some hunting breeds who naturally have long whiplike tails endure many problems in the field with breakages, severe lacerations and the like. So I can see why eventually all breeders of these dogs would dock the tails.

As for dew claws, any of my dogs WITH them had nothing but problems. IMHO they are vestigial and useless; the dog doesn't miss them at all.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
There is a huge difference in altering a dogs appearance for human vanity and altering a dogs reproductive organs for different reasons.

Surgery is invasive, all kinds of surgery. Spay and neuter is definitely not in the same page as cropping. I am so grateful my clinic doesn't crop. We do dock but they are reconsidering that due to too many owners complaining afterwards. We have the owners MARK the dogs tail where they want it with a sharpie and they still complain.

I've never had any issues with dew claws with any dog. I believe that if its there, they need it one way or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4XflsMEk-k

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My dogs haven't ever had an issue with their dew claws either, I think it's weird that they take them off of breeds w/ "normal" dew claws and leave them on dogs with weird dews (like great pyrs and beauceron).

Reactions: SoyMilk

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I've had dogs have problems with the dew claws but a slightly higher number who didn't. With my pups right now, the boys have theirs and use them to help "scratch the top of their heads (by rubbing their paws from behind their ears forward). Isabella doesn't have hers but will try the same move. I guess it doesn't work without the dew claws cause she usually ends up rubbing her head on cushions and rugs.

Reactions: SoyMilk

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
My dogs haven't ever had an issue with their dew claws either, I think it's weird that they take them off of breeds w/ "normal" dew claws and leave them on dogs with weird dews (like great pyrs and beauceron).

I always thought that was strange as well! The Prys that come into work have the freakiest double dew claws that are just hanging off skin.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Regarding dewclaws. I assisted in a dew claw removal with a litter of 2 day old bostons last week. They definitely feel it, and I am even more convinced that its cruel. Just because they are too young to "remember" it, doesn't make it okay IMO.

Reactions: Kassandra
1 - 12 of 12 Posts