Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, are newly adopted chocolate lab has some major waxie build up. The vet suggested I get some over the counter ear cleaner and use it once a day. She didn't have much other info for me. I can't believe I actually paid her money for info I could have gotten from and employee at petco.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Uno rarely gets ear infections anymore, but when he does, I just mix ACV/Water - 50/50 and put into one of those squeze bottles you can get at any walmart or pharmacy for a $1. (like the travel bottles), then mix it up, squirt it into his ear and repeat another time, basically until the ear infection clears up. But even for basic ear cleaning, I do the same thing, except I squirt and wipe the remainder with a cotton ball and q-tip(make sure not to go into dogs ear canal).

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As SCUBA divers we use something similar when diving in fresh water that is a mix of 1/3 isopropyl alcohol to 2/3 regular white vinegar (See here: Otitis Externa.) I have no idea why this "recipe" would insist on organic apple cider vinegar.

And the almond oil thing just seems weird to me. Kind of a throwback to when they used to "recommend" these oily ear drops for kids' earaches that really didn't do anything.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Ya the almond oil was the strange one LOL! I wonder if it works though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts